Topic

7 oz synthetic TNF Vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 7 oz synthetic TNF Vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just saw this today at REI; I don't always love TNF stuff, but this looks promising: 60g of "Flashdry" insulation + 20D fabric (that info isn't showing on the REI site, but was on the garment tag) at 7 oz.

http://www.rei.com/product/842418/the-north-face-blaze-insulated-vest-mens

Charles Compton
    BPL Member

@tyemax2

Locale: SF Bay Area

The weight is correct came up 7oz on my scale. Haven't really had a chance to use it yet, but I'll give a mini review after trying it out.

Charles Compton
    BPL Member

@tyemax2

So, I've had a chance to wear TNT blaze vest around SF and took it on a 8 mile hike in Point Reyes. Very pleased with it. It's a nice wind blocker/layering piece and works well on its own in temps of 50f with 16 mph winds. I have a backpack coming up in sept and ill let everyone know how it holds up.

Charles Compton
    BPL Member

@tyemax2

Been backpacking in Marbles and Yosemite and TNF blaze vest has been a champ. If you can still find it at the discounted price get it!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Altrec has some on sale.

I carry an REI Revelcloud vest for summer day hiking CYA insulation, but I use a windshirt too. I have a Power Stretch fleece vest that can fill the same slot if used with the windshirt and is brewer for rainy weather with the added breathability and moisture transfer. The fleece vest is 8oz in XL size.

The Revelcloud vest is 9oz in size large. It uses PrimaLoft Eco 60g insulation with a Pertex Quantum shell. To get more of an apples and apples comparison, what size is your 7oz Blaze vest? Other than that, it would have to be shell fabric, zippers and features like pockets and drawstrings to make up the 2oz difference in weight. Assuming that the shell fabric is lighter, I wonder how the Blaze compares for breathability?

I still think fleece wins on versatility for mid layer cool weather insulation over the 60g insulated/shelled jackets and vests. Fleece is heavier and bulkier, but the breathability is so much better and it makes a better layering system with windshirts and rain shells. The shells on the insulated garments just duplicate the windshirt layer IMHO.

My focus for cool weather insulation is 40-55F, high humidity and rain. If it is colder, 100g insulation is worth the weight and bulk and the 60g garments just don't deliver enough protection.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Dale,
    Can you post what it is, and where can it be obtained?
    Would love to know.
    Finally bought one of the Patty waffle grid fleece tops with large grids featured in articles on this site in order to get something fleece at around a half pound. But in Powerstretch? Can't imagine what you've got there. Sounds super.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

It was made by Marmot and now discontinued. I just double-checked the weight and compared it with an XL Patagonia Synchilla vest which is still good at 10oz.

Vests deliver a lot of good core insulation for less weight and bulk. I think they make great summer insulation options where temps might be cool to chilly, but not sub freezing in many regions.

Charles Compton
    BPL Member

@tyemax2

My size large weights 7oz. Here are the specs from the Rei outlet site.

The Blaze Vest from The North Face is a superlight, synthetic-insulated vest that packs down incredibly small so you can be ready with dependable core warmth whenever and wherever you need it.

FlashDry™ Thermal 60g synthetic insulation is extremely lightweight, warm and packable; plus, it retains warmth when damp and dries quickly
    FlashDry microparticles are embedded in the insulation to dramatically improve dry time and breathability
    Made of crushed coconut shells and crushed volcanic rock, the FlashDry additive leads to faster dry times and will not wash out
    Longlasting center, front, 3-color Vislon™ zip closure with interior windflap; drawcord hem; zip hand pockets
    The North Face Blaze Vest stows in its own pocket for easy

They still have a full size run in Cosmic blue for $96.73. Since its an outlet item the return policy is limited to a month.
    I tried the Rei Revelcloud but found the fit to be boxy for me.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I got my Revecloud at Goodwill for $12 :)

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Dale,
    Now I get it – it was a vest – lighter of course.
    Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools