Topic

Golite Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket $149.99

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Golite Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket $149.99

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest
    Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

I own a Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka that weighs in at 15.5oz with 4.3oz down fill (800 FP).
    The GL Bitterroot claims 5.3oz Fill weight (850 fill) at only 13oz finished weight.

Has anyone compared to two for warmth? I may have to replace my old trusty for this price.

Matt Leo

@atbackpacker

Locale: Central PA

I'm also interested in the comparison. I just bought the MB for $17 more than the Golite. Please tell me it's better! LOL!

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

The Golite is warmer and has a better warranty

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Sadly the Bitterroot has a completely flawed hood. It is designed to fit over a helmet but then doesn't offer any ability to dial in the fit when not wearing a helment. The consequence is that hood has huge gaps around your head and would blow off in a second.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Shame, that's what puts me off these Ul parkas, the lack of hood and hem drawcords drive me nuts.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

You've mentioned that before, Randy. Maybe we have different shaped heads, but my Bitterroot hood is perfectly snug when wearing a beanie and I zip it all the way up. But maybe someday the elastic will grow weary, and I'll change my stance.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Yeah, it's possible that it will fit certain folks. My assessment was made based on trying on a Men's Small in my local GoLite store. I may go back and see if I wear a couple of caps if that will bridge the gap.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

I've read another article about the Bitterroot having flawed hood design. If it is a matter of sewing some velcro in the back I can handle that but I'm not sure about running shock cord through the hem. This may be perfect for my overgrown dome though. I think I'm pushing 24" head circumference.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

"Most UL Alpine belay parkas have non-adjustable hoods because it's a feature climbers want. The Bitterroot's voluminous hood is not only meant to fit over a helmet, but to also act as faux visor when pulled forward over the forehead."

Sorry, but that makes no sense. Why do I want my hood to perform a "Visor" function at the sacrifice of a good fit? I have climbed quite a bit in Alpine very high wind conditions. I don't want my hood moving which the Bitterroot would absolutely do given it's loose fit. I also have tried plenty of Alpine Parkas with fully adjustable hoods. Examples are Patagonia Fitz Roy and DAS Parka, RAB Neutrino Plus Jacket, First Ascent Peak XV Parka just to name a few. So in my opinion GoLite simply made an oversight. It's not like climbing in Alpine = Wearing a Helmet. I frequently climb above 13/14k ft on non technical terrain where a helmet is pointless yet I still need a very warm jacket.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Kevin Lum
    BPL Member

@yukon635

Those that have GoLite jackets, do you find them to fit smaller, larger, or the same as most standard sizing. This seems like a good deal for a nice jacket for someone like me who is just looking for a warm jacket while shedding weight if possible

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

My large Bitterroot fits just like a large should. Not an athletic fit, not too baggy. The thing about the hood is, I don't see how it could fit over a helmet at all–it's not that roomy. I doubt that it was designed to be helmet compatible.

After Randy and I exchanged posts yesterday, I took my Bitterroot down to the basement war room, where I had good lighting and all my small tools. I checked out the elastic that rings the front of the hood. I found that I could probably carefully thread some thin cord through the opening at one end of the elastic (it's not sewn shut, but it's rather a tube that runs the length of the face opening), and add cord locks on each side where the cord leaves the tube. That would allow one to close the face opening dramatically. Then, if one is into it, sew a couple of velcro strips on the back of the hood to add that adjustability option. I won't do this myself, since I like the hood on mine just fine.

I adore my Bitterroot, and it's a steal at $150.

Edit–I want to also mention a few features that make this coat unique, vs. some of the other coats mentioned: it has a double zipper, the hand warmer pockets have zipper closures and are lined with a thin fleece (warm and comfy to the touch), and there is one zippered interior pocket that is large enough to hold a 1-liter Platypus. These features add a bit of weight, but they are worth it to me.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Are the pockets and collar area lined on the Bitterroot?

-Mark in St. Louis

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

The pockets are, the collar isn't.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

caved. i love and hate you all. will be testing this up against the montbell and first ascent.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Lol @ Adam, I was thinking the same thing. I'm going for the Olive color. For those of you in XL and don't mind "Mandarin Orange" color than there is a New Bitterroot at this link for $119:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/253609-FS-Gear-Closet-Liquidation

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

You go, Adam, make us proud to know ya. And please report your assessment.

Daniel Paladino
    BPL Member

@dtpaladino

Locale: Northern Rockies

Thanks for the heads up! My old puffy was begging to be replaced (duct tape gets rather heavy!)

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

If what Golite claims is true (5 Oz of 850+ fill and the Pertex fabric)the jacket will be warm no matter what, although I am not holding my breath on the quality of cut and stitching. I think there is a reason why its so cheap compared to other comparable jackets.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

well for my hiking needs, a tight fitting hood is really a non issue. i would not be wearing that down while hiking, only at camp. so while sitting around a campfire or hanging my hammock the issue of a hood falling back b/c of wind isn't really a concern. man that's a nice, nice jacket for $150…

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Or wearing it to extend the warmth of a quilt.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Mamamia, Golite actually produces some decent gear. The reason their prices are so low is that they do not sell to retailers yet they are large enough to have better economies of scale than the cottage manufacturers. Therefore they pass on the savings to the consumer. Before they moved to this direct sales business model they had prices more in line with other companies. The bitterroot in particular was a $350+ jacket (the $350 Mirage parka from Montbell was basically a response to the GoLite Bitterroot, albeit warmer due to box wall construction).

Golite isn't as premium and athletically oriented as some of the other companies (like Arc'Teryx) but their gear is made well enough and they are well regarded in the community. If their cut fits your body type you won't be disappointed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools