Topic

Looking for a good softshell that can withstand serious abuse

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a good softshell that can withstand serious abuse

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Weldon
    BPL Member

@hypnolobster

I started a full time trailwork job last month, and it's starting to get mighty cold out there.

I generally wear a merino or underarmor baselayer, then a second, slightly warmer baselayer. Usually I've got my beloved patagonia sun hoody on top for general wear after I've warmed up swinging tools around.

Lately, on top of that I've been just wearing a Carhartt full zip jacket, which is warm enough to keep me happy during lunch. The problem is that it's cotton (and it's very rainy lately), and very bulky. With decent baselayers, it's warm enough into freezing temps.

What I really need is a new softshell that can provide similar or better warmth, compress better (not difficult) and withstand the ridiculous rigors of trail work. Inexpensive is a major bonus as well, since trail work doesn't pay too well.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I've been beating up a TNF Apex Bionic jacket for years and it's treated me well.

It also comes in a hooded version, called the Apex Android.

With a midweight fleece vest underneath I've taken it down to freezing temps in low activity. With some activity it's plenty warm with nothing but a t-shirt.

For bonus points, the windproof membrane also makes it pretty close to waterproof, besides the seams.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

For everything you describe save compactability, I don't think there's anything better than a Pendleton wool shirt.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The North Face Nimble jacket – super cheap right now if you can find it in your size. Dick's Sporting Goods has a good assortment of options. I like the Triumph Green color.

I use it mountain biking in colder weather. Breaths great (stretch-woven softshell, non-membrane) and thin, so you choose how much insulation you want by layering underneath it, and great durability. Crashed in rocks, bashed into trees, still holds up great – better than my body.

Great for casual use also. I use it as my shoulder season jacket around town.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

For trail work, I would think about looking for something cheap, so searching Landsend or Cabela's, campmore, etc, the discount outdoor gear places. So I find for example:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/cduqaoq

I put in a tiny url that should work "cabela's temperate full zip softshell". I haven't seen that jacket at all, but cabelas stuff is usually reasonable quality that is $35.

Andrew Weldon
    BPL Member

@hypnolobster

Thanks for the suggestions

I was shooting for the $70ish range in price, and leaning more and more towards just ordering something that seemed good from moosejaw or something.

Just found this though, which is extremely tempting, though sort of expensive and not wind resistant. I really do like wool.
    http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Moosejaw-Men-s-Lieutenant-Z-s-Gentleman-s-Wool-Jacket_10206524_10208_10000001_-1_?green=93194B34-519D-54B0-AEBE-DAB4118BD9CF&cm_sp=MyBuys-_-Footer-_-10206524

Before I spring for that wool jacket, I'll find out what local store has the largest selection of TNF and some other brands that have cheaper options and try a couple on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools