Topic

Original Black Rock Hats $55

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Original Black Rock Hats $55

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Baker
    BPL Member

@f1prb22

They have a handful of black hats in the Original 20d material which they are selling for over 15% discount.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Is having a down beanie really worth that price? I bought a winter running hat at ross for $7 that is super light. Sierra Trading post has great deals on quality beanies too. Seems like $55 isn't really a deal on just a beanie.

I did spend $65 on my Zpacks Down Balaclava which is awesome and about 1 once. Great for keeping warm with the quilt with a little more versatility.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I think it's the warmest hat I own, and so light. When I bought mine from Ti Goat, I exchanged a couple of e-mails with Josh Leavitt. He mentioned that on really cold days he wears a size large, and then puts an XL one over that. I wish that Black Rock would make a sort of balaclava–that would totally rock.

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Last year for our first anniversary, I took my wife on a trip up to the Dolly Sods in West Virginia. I got us matching Black Rock hats as our anniversary gift, and they are AWESOME.

Evan, who designed and makes the hats (now with help) out of his house, was one of the best people I've ever worked with. He was prompt, easy to communicate with, and willing to answer all my inane questions (because I'm very value conscious, and thought $60 was crazy for a hat).

Eventually, from reviews and from his excellent service, I was convinced — it may be an expensive piece of kit, but it's the warmest hat made for the weight and the quality is exceptional. The ease of tucking it into a pocket when not in use is worth it because it makes it much easier to regulate temperature when hiking. They are also crazy comfortable, which goes a looooong way towards happiness at the end of the day.

Short story made long, I was running behind with the anniversary planning and Evan got two custom hats made and shipped out in less than a day during the same week his baby was born–that's just crazy. Thanks to his exceptional service, the hats made it in time for our trip.

I've had friends buy hats from Evan after seeing mine. One friend ended up buying them for ever one of his family members for Christmas last year, he was so impressed by them.

Anyway, if you're wanting to support a superlative small business, exceptional design and engineering, and to make your head the happiest it's ever been in cold weather, this is a fabulous deal.

I'll probably be ordering a few more as Christmas gifts myself…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools