Topic

Neoprene Leggings.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Neoprene Leggings.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have been exploring around the Ventana Wilderness a lot lately, and there are some routes or areas that involve wading up creeks and streams. Anyways, I am thinking about getting some nrs hydroskin leggings (0.5 mm neoprene) to pair with my hydroskin socks. I figure that this will make wading much more tolerable in the winter months.

Would neoprene leggings be comfortable for hiking and climbing over deadfall? I realize that they are designed more for rafting. Are they too restrictive and not flexible? Or do they fit like running tights?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The hydroskins are definitely very stretchy because they're only a half millimeter thick so you should be fine. For winter many canyoneers will wear thicker neoprene wetsuits.

As for restriction and flexibility…surfers wear neoprene all the time and do a lot more than even the most adventurous canyoneer. Neoprene is perfectly fine, you may not like them but consider the cold alternative without ;)

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Some of the guys I paddle with wear the NRS hydroskin pants for off-season training when the water is cold.

They fit like a wetsuit or a pair of tights. If you get any of the thin ones (up to say 2 or 3mm thickness) they will be perfectly fine to hike in as far as maneuverability goes.

They might get too warm when not hiking in the creek though.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

As an avid Crossfitter with bad knees I wear neoprene compression sleeves on squat days. Regardless of temperatures there is sweat running down my legs from just from the knee sleeves, I can't imagine how full length leggings would be.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I have lots of neoprene experience and use it regularly in 0-20C35-55F degree weather. It works fine. Only one caveat – it is not windproof. And while it keeps you wonderfully warm in water and can keep you too warm on land, when its wet and its windy, the evaporative energy loss will freeze you.

Derrick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools