Topic

Exaggerated pack weights????

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Exaggerated pack weights????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That load with boxes is typical of re-supply for remote staff operations. Some of those youngsters haul in 100 pound loads of fresh food and supplies. OUCH!

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Locale: Southern California

Lol. Thought he was just being resourceful.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Dude no matter how you look at it there's no light weight way to do any alpine mountaineering. Everything about it is heavy rope,pro,crampons an axe.
    But its still fun : )

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Easy — the wrong stuff and too much of it. Fifteen years ago I was thrilled when I was able to get my base weight below 50 pounds. Seriously. For a weekend trip, I would have 48 pounds of base gear and a tiny 5-pound food bag. I weighed all this stuff, so it was accurate.

That included a 4.5 pound solo tent (which won a Backpacker Editor's Choice award and was three pounds lighter than my old solo tent.) It included a 2.5 pound Goretex shell, another 1.5 pounds of Goretex rain pants, a complete 200-wt fleece set, top and bottom, with nylon panels to keep the pack straps from shredding the fleece. All that was totally necessary to survive mild Eastern fall weather that might actually get below freezing! Probably another 4 pounds. A two pound stove and a 3-4 pound kitchen. A coated nylon 9×9 foot tarp for the kitchen, 2.5 pounds. A change of clothing for every day on the trail. A 4-pound synthetic 20-F bag that packed to the size of a large watermelon. A giant Thermarest. Multiple repair kits for everything – mattress, stove, pack. A giant fixed blade knife, plus a multitool. A military entrenching tool (seriously.) Extra batteries. A 2+ pound first aid kit. Binoculars. Heavy p+s camera along with spare batteries and film. All of this was carried in a Gregory pack that weighed almost seven pounds, plus I needed another pound+ of optional external pockets.

Remember, the wilderness is a nasty, brutish place where only the prepared can possibly survive….

Getting the pack weight down was a process of getting more experience and learning from other hikers. My three season base weight is now around 13-14 pounds depending on whether I am solo or with my wife. Makes the trips a lot more pleasant….

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Back in the day (from the 1970s through about 2008) I regularly weighed my full pack. If it weighed 45lbs or less, I thought I was carrying a light pack. Over 50lbs was normal.

Thank God for BPL!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Packs at Philmont scout ranch go on the scale before leaving.
    The average is 45-55 lbs
    With only 3 days food at a time.
    Philmont does require some extra stuff, but most newbs would bring more on their own anyway without the guidance they give.

I have a friend who told me he worked on getting his pack wt down and got excited once when he weighed his pack and it only weighed 23 lbs,…. then he realized he didnt have any food or water yet.

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

This thread is a recurring theme on BPL, for good reason. I am one of those people who started with a heavy pack, 40+ lbs, for a weekend trip as a middle schooler, but now my baseweight is at 8.5ish lbs. I fully credit my weight loss to BPL, not so much for changing my ways, but showing me other ways and gear.

I never packed extra clothes or shoes, but I had a white gas stove for August, full set of nesting pots instead of just one (I did use them all though), 7 lbs pack, 1.5 sleeping pad (which I still have and use 15 years later), fairly full FAK, multiple full water bottles, etc. It added up, and yes I weighed the pack on the bathroom scale. At the time, my dad had a 60 lbs pack because he "needed" two bucket sinks, camp shoes, a change of clothes, a towel for washing up, and so on.

We got that gear and the subsequent heavy packs by reading Backpacker mag and going to REI for help. Both well meaning resources, but heavy minded. BPL was the resource I wanted all those years ago. The last trip I went on with my dad was the first time he didn't say he was going to have a lighter pack next time, and we didn't wish for anything either.

I'm conflicted when I see these threads about heavier packs because on one hand, I've been there and now I've "seen the light," as it's been said. I, too, cringe at towering packs for two nights. Hell, I cringe when I see two people each with their own stove and cookset nowadays. But it's this seemingly enlightened attitude and looking down at people with heavy packs that has killed the reputation of ultralight backpacking recently. Skurka doesn't use the word "ultralight" anymore because of the elitist connotation associated with it.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if these people with 40, 50, 60, 100 lbs packs are happy, I don't care about their packs and am happy to share the woods. If they wish there was a lighter way, I'd show them what I've learned from BPL. At first, I was pretty snotty about my baseweight when it dropped, but now I keep my mouth shut and just enjoy the hiking. I think I'm probably much more fun to be around now too.

-Jeff

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

There is plenty of pushback from the "other side" too. many folks with packs that size still consider people with smaller packs to be unprepared and uncomfortable.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Just posted a trip report where I used all my old gear. The gear list might surprise you.

Click Here

James Skeen

@andyskeen

Locale: Upstate NY/Ft. Collins, CO

Having carried 80-100lbs on my back for weeks on end, I know the value of having a light pack.

And, having experienced terrible weather of all kinds, in the same apparel, I know that being comfortable is something I will never willingly compromise.

Nor will I opt for a cold meal over hot food. I'll always have a stove and fuel, if I can help it.

So, 30lbs or so is probably the lowest I'd go for a multi-day trip in which I'd see real terrain and weather.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jeff wrote, "I'm conflicted when I see these threads about heavier packs because on one hand, I've been there and now I've "seen the light," as it's been said. I, too, cringe at towering packs for two nights. Hell, I cringe when I see two people each with their own stove and cookset nowadays. But it's this seemingly enlightened attitude and looking down at people with heavy packs that has killed the reputation of ultralight backpacking recently. Skurka doesn't use the word "ultralight" anymore because of the elitist connotation associated with it.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if these people with 40, 50, 60, 100 lbs packs are happy, I don't care about their packs and am happy to share the woods. If they wish there was a lighter way, I'd show them what I've learned from BPL. At first, I was pretty snotty about my baseweight when it dropped, but now I keep my mouth shut and just enjoy the hiking. I think I'm probably much more fun to be around now too."

It's nice to see posts like this here. For myself, i never did the ultra heavy thing, though i have definitely carried unecessary gear, and still occasionally do to a lesser extent i think.

I've been lurking here for awhile before i joined. There is a lot of great stuff to learn here, and i like that sometimes i feel a bit like an idiot or rather a bit ignorant when reading some of the threads here (anodizing aluminum!)–keeps me humble and makes me realize i have a lot to learn. But i have noted a sort of attitude of elitism here sometimes.

Also, as i've gotten more into UL type thinking, gear, and planning–i've noticed it has increased my "monkey mind chatter" which is something that i like being in nature to tone down (i also meditate to help with that). It's almost ironic. I'm constantly thinking about the next best and lightest thing, how to modify this, or modify that, etc, etc. I deliberately have to take a conscious step back sometimes because i have a slightly OCD type personality.

I've seen people take the ultralight thing to a religious zealotry level at worst and obsessiveness on the lesser end. I could see myself getting to the latter at least, and that's not where i want to be. Does anyone really need to cut holes out of their toothbrush? How would that increase your comfort level?

I guess i'm turned off by extremism, having been extremist in the past. I don't don't judge individuals for it though, whether they carry a super heavy pack or SXUL pack, but to me both are kind of missing the point if they focus too much on the gear. What i really want to do is get more into bushcrafting and using what's in nature already. Serves two purposes, gets you more light, but also tunes you into nature more. When i grow up, i want to be like Cody Lundin.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I, too, lurked a lot before I joined, then started asking a lot of questions (thanks everyone!). I am so happy I found this site, and that I've learned so much about how to actually enjoy backpacking instead of making it an endurance test.

Unfortunately…now I'm just mad that I can't stop thinking about how to lighten my pack, carry smaller, lighter stuff, modify what I have, wear better clothes…
    You guys are cleaning out my bank account with all this talk of cuben and titanium and eVent and merino and possumdown (down from possums???!!!). I love you for it, but gear swap and STP and Backcountry.com 20% off and The Clymb – ARGH – I just can't resist!!!!

Who needs to pay the mortgage when I could be sleeping on a BA SL Q-core in a Palisades quilt under a cuben tarp wearing down booties and merino leggings and a black rock gear down hat and a cap4 hoody??

;)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Not to rain on any parade of slammin that guy, which I agree, his stuff is ridiculous.

But I nerdily studied that pic and I think its a Stanley SharkTooth saw. There is a little taper to it and… a saw is slightly more useful in the woods than a level. He may be dumb, but he's not stupid.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think you're right on the saw vs a level. I feel so much better about in now ;)

Was it George Bernard Shaw that said, "what a shame to waste youth upon the young"?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Awesome posts Justin and jen.

If you can pay the mortgage AND sleep under a cuben hexamid you will have beaten life, that's all I can say :)

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Modded white water Packrafts in cold climates! I went from 30L 3kg overnight packs to 80L 13kg packs almost over night! Add raft, wetsuits, paddles, helmet, throw bag, real dry bags, life jacket and a bunch of accessories and clothes for repair, maintenance and hypothermia.

So strange having people ohh and ahh over the size of your pack and how heavy it must be again!

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

I didn't realize my friends picture would cause so much attention haha! I forgot it was even posted.

He was very proud to carry such a heavy weight. I choose not to comment on whether he did this from stupidity or ignorance. However, what I did not mention in the first post is that THIS WAS THE HIKE OUT! Think about all those consumables he packed in! I believe he made 3 trips (I hadn't arrived yet). My friends and I have discussed his excessive pack weight and the risks of injury. We don't think it is quite as funny and "cool" as he does, especially when we are the ones that would have to save his butt if he was hurt.

We went on an "End of the World" trip the weekend of the 21st and his pack weighed 97lbs (he weighed it on a scale before he left). This is extremist in all categories and he is far from a conditioned weight lifter.

He packs beyond necessity to the extent of luxury (air mattress, camp chairs, 5lbs of hamburger meat, 30 box of domestics).
    Now that I think about it…. its pure stupidity.

The Stanley Saw did come in quite handy though when I was foraging fallen trees. ;P

The guy in the background is my brother and he is using my "back-up" gear. That is why he looks like he knows what he's doing. :)

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

Correction, there's really no "maybe" since it's generally known that I'm an a-hole. Anyhow, I don't mind traveling in the woods with people who have differing views, budgets, and resultant packloads. That said, I reserve the right to do a number of things in an effort to not ruin my own time:

1. I'm not carrying any of your sh*t, period…
    2. If you fall and bust your ass, I'm not carrying your sh*t out (exception: food, water, first aid)…
    3. If you're cutting water because you're carrying too much, see #1, then have some of my water, but also see #4…
    4. I'm not compromising my own safety because you were ill-prepared…
    5. I reserve the right be impressed with your feats of awesomeness if you have a good time, but I can still make fun…
    6. I will begrudgingly acknowledge that I'm more comfortable because of your excess, or penchant for bushcraft.

This may not be the way to make friends and influence people, but we'll see how it goes.

Unrelated: it was an interesting read, that hike report further up the thread, however it highlighted something I'd long since forgotten about; the tension between hikers and mountain bikers. As a long time member of the latter, and a new member of the former, I guess I have to walk a pretty thin line. As a long-time downhill mountain biker I used to go back into the woods to clear trails, cut new trails from deer trails, and build stuff out of deadfall. But I digress.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

"Is that a Stanely builder's level hanging out the front?"

Maybe he's just happy to be there….

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools