Topic

synthetic hoodie??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) synthetic hoodie??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

As part of my lessons learned from the being cold fiasco (another thread) I think i would like to revert back to synth base layers….but i really like the hoodies i have (BPL and anotherone)

Is there in existence a thin (comparable to BPL) synthetic hoddie??

Mike

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Patagonia Men's Capilene 4 EW 1/4 Zip Hoody

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Richard – i saw that…but isnt it way heavier (i was looking for a "classic" base layer in the 130-160gsm range (like Cap2 i guess)

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Melanzana Micro Grid Hoodie. I picked one up last time I was in Leadville CO. It is pretty sweet. Super soft, and very breathable.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

does anybody know the weight on any of these? namely weight per sq yard

Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

I read somewhere in the gear forum that Patagonia's new Capilene4 comes in at 3.7oz/yd. The Hoody comes in around 8 oz I think.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the Cap 4 hoody is more of a midweight layer imo than a base layer, it's in the 9 oz range for size Large

in colder weather I usually have several hooded garments at my disposal- mid-layer, windshirt, puffy; but never felt the need for a hood on my thin base layers, might be the reason there isn't too many offered

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Here's a really light one; though not exactly the latest in synthetic fabric. It's made of modal which is a type of rayon which evidently sort of like wool feels dryer against the skin because of its hrgroscopic properties of water absorption rather than hydroscopic water repellant type properties like polyester fabrics.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuddl-Duds-Womens-Softwear-Stretch/dp/B003ZDOR26/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1352312585&sr=8-30&keywords=cuddle+dud

the medium hoody weighs 6.5 oz and is so stretchy it really functions like a barely snug large sized base layer.

The hygroscopic properties are interesting. Maybe Richard Nisley could weigh-in on modal/rayon as a next to skin material.

Just guessing but the cuddle duds brand may be commercially successful in part because these hygroscopic properties keep the fabric feeling dry against the skin, coupled maybe with the fabric being relatively inexpensive and feeling so soft. The material has a very light and open weave almost like hosiery with the spandex probably providing the framework/structure for the modal/rayon material. I guess in high exertion activity there might be somewhat of a "wetsuit" effect with moisture being absorbed by the fabric and kept next to the skin. Still the weave is very thin and open…. so maybe the retention kind of counter-balances the evaporative cooling and the whole thing feels better because of those hygroscopic properties. I've worn mine for limited periods (a few hours)of pretty high exertion in pretty cool weather under a shell and liked it but I haven't measured the moisture retention or drying times. The stuff might be a very poor choice for sustained high exertion activity for all I know. I've also used a non-hooded top (3.2 oz) as a lightweight sleepwear layer to provide a little extra warmth while keeping the bag clean and maybe the hygroscopic properties might help keep more moisture out of the bag's insulation but that would take some fancy equipment to measure and quantify.

Ahh the age old question: What happens to both sensible(sweat)and insensible(water vapor)moisture once it passes through the skin? Where does it go and how does it get there?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Modal is a type of rayon[1], a semi-synthetic cellulose fiber made by spinning reconstituted cellulose, in this case often from beech trees. Modal is used alone or with other fibers (often cotton or spandex) in household items such as towels, bathrobes, underwear and bedsheets.

Manufacturers claim a number of advantages for the fiber: about 50% more hygroscopic (water-absorbent) per unit volume than cotton, takes dye like cotton, color-fast when washed in warm water, resistant to shrinkage and fading but prone to stretching and pilling. It is also claimed that mineral deposits from hard water do not stick to the fabric surface. It is smooth and soft, more so than mercerized cotton, though some perceive it to have a synthetic texture. Modal fabrics should be washed at lower temperatures and like cotton, are often ironed after washing.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Michel,

You said, "…I really like the hoodies. I have BPL and anotherone."

My wool size L BPL hoodie weighs 8.75oz. and my size XL Cap 4 hoody (wrong size delivered) weighs 8.64 oz. In contrast, my size L R1 hoody weighs 12.77 oz.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If it is warm enough for me to wear a base layer or base with shell, then I don't need a hood on the base layer. I have a hood on my wind shell which would be good at those temps. As it gets colder and moving up a mid layer using something like a Patagonia R1 or Power Stretch, then a hood can come into play.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

@richard

i didnt realize that…so you are saying thatessentially they are very similar in as much as gsm…

so CAP2 is how light?

Mike

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Cap 1 long sleeve is ~ 4.5 oz, Cap 2 5.5 oz

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Mike,

What size?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

those are from Patagonia's site- Men's medium

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

I've always wondered what the weight differences were in Cap, Merino, and Regulator. It takes some browsing on patagonia's site, but I found this:

Cap 1, 3.7oz
    Cap 2, 4.0oz
    Cap 3, 4.8oz
    Cap 4, 5.3oz

Merino 1, 3.2
    2, 4.4
    3, 6.9
    4, 7.8

Regulator Insulation-lofted hollow-core fibers
    R1, Polartec Powerdry, high/low grid, 6.8oz, jacket 13.3oz
    R2, Polartec ThermoPro, mid-wt,fur-like, 6.1oz, jacket 13.1oz
    R3, Polartec ThermoPro, high pile, fur-like, 7.4oz, jacket 16.7oz
    R4, Polartec Windbloc, stretchy light weight (with membrane), 13oz, jacket 22.2oz

Don't know the relative thermo properties. R1 is almost twice the weight of Cap1. And, R1 is denser than R2.

I'd be interested in Richard's consideration of the Cap4 hoody as a replacement for the R1 hoody in his layering protocol.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

So what do you guys wear for normal 3 season backpacking as base layer?

I thought the BPL merino hoodie was lightweight …but Richard is saying it is similar in weight to Pata C4 hoodie….

So in weather that is sunny and in 5o's – would you wear this alone or lighter?

what would you say is the temp range vs cpliene numbr chart?

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

With the new grid pattern, which you really have to see to appreciate, I'd think that the Cap 4 hoody could work across a wide range of temperatures. Without a layer over it, it would vent like mad. With a layer, it could be pretty warm, depending on what you layered.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

This latest Cap 4 is 3.7 oz/yard. The grid fleece with the large voids really bends the normal relationship between fabric weight and warmth. It adapts to an impressively wide range of temperatures, but is still a <40 degree only garment for me.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here are some more weights and options:

Patagonia R4 (wind block) jacket, XL, 21oz

EMS Power Stretch full zip hoodie, XL, 14oz

Marmot Power Stretch full zip vest, XL, 8oz

MEC Power Dry (like R1) 1/2 zip vest, XL 7oz

The R4 jacket is really a soft shell and and has the same limitations. I would rather have the Power Stretch hoodie or vest to be combined with a windshirt or rain shell.

I ran across the EMS vest used and I'm impressed with the balance of warmth, breathability, weight and compact size. Perfect with a windshirt.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

for all year base layer I use Capilene 1 (some prefer Cap 2)- I view the new Cap 4 is a mid layer (albeit a lighter and more breathable mid layer say vs the R1), as such it's use is restricted to shoulder/winter season

the BPL hoody is a lighter weight material and while I wouldn't wear it in the very hottest weather, it would probably serve well for a lot of 3 season use (much like the Merino 1 from Patagonia)

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

The have Capilene 4 products listed at 3.7 oz, 5.3 oz, and 5.9 oz currently for sale on their Web site. VERY POOR PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

hmmmm- are some of the weights for the outgoing Cap4? I know the previous gens of Cap 4 were heavier than their newest grid Cap 4, maybe old stock on hand?

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Was just playing around on MEC's site tonight and found another option I'd never heard of before:
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/BaseLayerUnderwear/Midweight/PRD~5023-663/mec-t2-zip-hoodie-mens.jsp

Kind of impressive specs on this. Not to mention the price.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Academy sports now has a thin stretchy synthetic hoody in their BCG brand. $19.99

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

@ian – nice find!! seems almost identical to the patagucchi cap 4 (powerdry and such

anyone know more?
    M

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools