Topic

Built a Website

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well, really a blog I guess. But all of this is new for me. I have been playing around with this for a few months, mostly concentrating on how to do it, more than quality of material.

popupbackpacker.com

A couple reasons I did this:

I have a lot of pictures stored on Webshots.com and they are changing their format. I am afraid it is going to become a social networking site. Not interested.

The second is the difficulty of posting stuff (especially trip reports) on BPL. Plus it takes a lot of time to post some things, and I don't want to lose my work if BPL goes away.

When I looked into building a website/blog, I decided to go with a WordPress template — much easier than actually learning how to build a website, plus I am not that interested in becoming proficient at HTML.

I did decide to register a domain and am using HostGator to host the site.

Edited because I can't seem to use HTML to correctly link to a URL :)

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Looking good, Nick. I'll be spending some time over there reading your trip reports.

a b

@ice-axe

Just to let you know the "follow" feature worked fine, now i can get your blog sent to my email.
    Looking forward to following the "sage" of the sagebrush.

I am also interested because i have been considering doing something like this myself but am clueless about this whole internet HTLM site press thingy.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Looking forward to reading your trip reports. I also like the "Vintage Gear", or as I like to call it "Stuff I used when I was in College", brings back good memories…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Good on you Nick. Looks nice, easy to navigate, enjoyable content.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice! Nice clean interface.

Love the Southwest scenery. I spent a fair amount of time there years ago. All these dang trees here blocking the view.

I think sugary drinks are a major part of the obesity epedemic. It drives up medical costs which are killing us. Maybe the NY ban will increase awareness and thus result in less obesity?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Looks great Nick, glad you put all those trip reports and pictures in one place. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your blog.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Nice work, Nick. Very interesting and informative. And enjoyable Sunday a.m. read. Will enjoy following your posts going forward. Great writing style and topics covered. Thanks for putting it out there!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent! I just saved the URL.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Very cool Nick. I have always enjoyed your trip reports and how-to's on the Niagara. They've come in handy on the Avalon.

Ryan

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Looked at the Kelty packs post and reflected a bit on my Boy Scout days in the early 70's to early 80s.

The Skurka inspired thread on "stupid light" or the death of ultralight was pretty interesting as well.

Nick keep up the great work. I've always enjoyed your trip reports and your contributions and commitment to BPL. Rock on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools