Topic

A Quickie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear A Quickie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

A Quickie

This is an old idea and has been discussed here before. It worked so well for me recently, however, I thought I'd post the info again. It works particularly well if you are experimenting with tarp prototypes and want to move line attachment points easily.

here

here
    The styrofoam ball and line loop weigh a total of 1 gram (dry). The easy to attach and remove knot in the line loop is called a larks head. The role of tarp fabric is played by the hanky.

A variation on the theme is to use a champagne cork instead of a styrofoam ball. This allows you to use a pole with the fabric without punching a hole in it (the fabric).

here

here

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The "old" idea is to use a small rock

But I hate the idea of carrying heavy rocks, so styrofoam is much better

good idea

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Back in the day, we used to just pick up the stone from the ground – we didn't carry it. In which case, even styrofoam balls would be excess weight.

A lark's head attachment is indeed great for this, and can be done by just making a longish loop in your tart cord, then making the lark's head with said loop.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Stephen,

Good point on forming the larks head by simply making a longish loop in the tarp cord. In other words my photo shows a knot that isn't needed and only complicates an even simpler method.

The knot would only be needed if one's intention was to attach a loop (or loops) to the tarp (hanky) for future attachment to a tie out cord running to a stake.

On a side note, I think Tarptent chose a good name for their company. I don't think Hankytent would have sold as well.

Daryl

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools