Topic

Compact camera bag for 5N with kit lens?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Compact camera bag for 5N with kit lens?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gary Yee

@lakemcd

Locale: NW Montana

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a light weight bag/pouch option for my 5N and 18-55.
    Some considerations:
    1, I would love for it to be at least lightly padded.
    2, Able to attach to shoulder strap of belt of GG Crown AC.
    3, Would be great if it could be attached to shoulder strap or belt of Osprey day packs.
    4, Might replace 18-55 with the 16-50 if they are equal in image quality.

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada
    Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

Thinking about going the same route with the zpacks bag.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Paul,
    Now that you have the bag, would you recommend making it 1" deeper for the Nex-5N or do you think it would have worked as is? What other lens do you have in there and what is the other item behind the camera?

Gary Yee

@lakemcd

I saw your post in a previous thread and what you've created looks interesting. I was looking for an option that would just carry the body and kit lens. Again hoping for a more compact solution. Thanks

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Gary,

I use the large Osprey DigiStow for my Nex 5.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/addons/digistows?tab=specifications

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Depending upon how many lenses I'm carrying, I either use the Zpacks Multipack or the Osprey Grab Bag.

Both have their strong points and their weaknesses.

The Zpacks bag is amazingly light, has a ton of room and seems to be relatively durable/weather proof. I use this when I want to carry a lot of extra camera gear. I can easily fit a body and three different pancake lenses along with other odds and ends in there. The primary drawback is also the size… It's overkill and a bit obtrusive if I'm not carrying a lot of camera gear. Another criticism of the Multipack is that it gets quite warm and sweaty underneath it while wearing it as a chest pack.

The Osprey grab bag is pretty neat if you're carrying a stripped down kit with only one or two smaller lenses. I really like that it rides off to the side rather than dead center on the chest. It's much less intrusive, doesn't block your view of your feet and it's a little easier to protect with your arm while bush whacking. It also has 3d mesh on the back of it to try to make it more comfortable to wear in warm conditions. It can fit a 5n with the 18-55 lens plus the 16mm pancake with wide angle adapter but is a bit snug ( expect some fiddling and repositioning to fit it all in there). It's also not weatherproof.

Both have the ability to be used as hip packs. The Zpacks pouch probably gets the nod here since it can be used in so many different configurations.

Neither option has any padding built in although I haven't found this to be a problem. I simply wrap each lens or the camera in bubble wrap pouches if I think I need it.

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

Chris,

I already had the Zpacks bag made one inch deeper. I seems to be a perfect size. In the picture it has the pancake lens on the camera and the kit zoom in the corner pouch. Both the camera pouch and the zoom lens pouch has much more depth than needed by the camera and lens. Right now I use a blue foam separator and place accessories below both pouches. The zoom lense pouch is big enough for a much bigger lens, and I will use for DSLR lens when I get an adapter that would allow me to mount it on the 5n.

The other item behind cameras is a lithium battery. There is a pouch for an IPhone sized object as well.

Gary Yee

@lakemcd

Thanks everyone the Osprey offering looks interesting. I'll see if I can track one down.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

You might also take a look at the Ortlieb Snap.

I use the smaller version for my camera, but the larger one's might suit you. My choice as it can deal with the (often persistent) rain in Northern Europe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools