Topic

Homemade down bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Homemade down bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

I am looking at making my own down sleeping bag. I was going to use 600 fill down.

I am looking at about 20oz of fill… what temp rating would that put my bag at? I am looking for something around +10 or +15

would this be about right?

Tommy

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

600 fp *20 oz= 12000 ci.
    A lot of 15* bags have about 3" of single layer loft.
    What are the dimensions of the bag you propose to make? As long as the bag has around about 4000 ci of area you should be ok.
    It also depends on whether all of the down is on top of you (the optimal place for it, like a quilt) or if you are sleeping on top of some of it (like a sleeping bag, where the down underneath you is compressed and does no good).
    A little more information might be helpful so we can get a better estimate of what exactly you have in mind.

Adam

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

The dimensions will be 30" x 80" mummy.

It will be a sleeping bag so I will be laying on some down. I am using a write up off of the homemade gear site I googled.

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

I will also be sleeping in a down jacket in a HH if that matters… I am using my Northface windy pass as an onsite pattern.

Tommy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools