Topic

making use of Hurricane Sandy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) making use of Hurricane Sandy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Just lost power in North West Connecticut – hooked up the Airport to my brother's battery backup – hence the internet even with no power :-) was going to set up my DuoMid until I saw the photo of the Cape under a tree….we have a lot of trees in our yard…and over our emergency scanner just heard about a tree going through a house in the town over from us….. I wonder if MLD covers "tree damage" …maybe tomorrow will be the day to set up the tent….

Chris
    BPL Member

@staplebox

Locale: New England

I am in SE CT. It was the top of the tree that hit the Cape so it may be ok under there. Definitely better then my kid's playscape that is under the trunk. I'm glad I didn't put up the Golite 5 – I plan to use it this winter. So I am 1/2 smart???

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Not being even half smart — I went ahead and set up the DuoMid for an hour and watched it in a few 45-50mph gusts (strong enough to drive the trekking pole into the ground :-D and then I decided to take it down rather than have it end up with Doug's bivy somewhere in a tree……

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

"So I am 1/2 smart???"

You must be smart, and seeing as how you made it out of the shelter before the tree landed you must be half-fast too… ;-)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, the main damaging effects from Sandy are now over. Here in Southern NY state we didn't see much beyond a rather heavy Noreaster. Further west and south, there are trees down, some local power outages, but no more than any good sized storm produces…just wide spread. We did NOT get the snow (yet) that is blanketing the Apilachins. Wind speeds barely topped 50mph, something that is not abnormal for this area. We typically get 50mph winds once/twice per year.

Most damage was confined to metropolitan/coastal areas. I thank the weather service that let us all be prepared for the storm…it could have been much worse. I feel for the coastal area, NYC & area, New Jersey and Delaware residents. It appears from TV that they really got hammered. Snow in the *south* before we get it???? A strange weather pattern.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools