Topic

Thermos Flask

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Thermos Flask

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I'm thinking about getting a thermos flask for winter dayhikes and also use it for backpacking/snowshoeing. I would probably carry some tea/coffee/hot choclate/soup on day hikes and soup for lunch when backpacking. Do you guys use thermos and any recommendations are welcome.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I can highly recommend the Stanley Nineteen-13 vacuum bottle. Best thermos I've ever used at keeping hot drinks and soups hot. See my review at BackpackGearTest.org for further information.

Richard

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just listed a vintage one pint glass lined aluminum shell Thermos in the Gear Swap.

Other than that, the wide-mouth Klean Kanteen thermal bottles come in several sizes and the REI flip top vacuum tumbler keeps the contents hot for shift. I got one for my daughter and she loves it for commuting. Not the best for soup. http://www.rei.com/product/799295/rei-flip-top-vacuum-tumbler-15-fl-oz

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

HydroFlask makes a couple of very well insulated stainless thermoses. Last year I was in the Adirondacks…temp was -10F, and after eight hours of hiking, my tea was still too hot to drink right away. After that, I would highly recommend these…

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I bought a REI flask yesterday evening and put it to test by filling it with boiling water and putting it in the freezer. When I checked after 4 hrs, the water was still piping hot and after 12 hrs, it was not warm or cold.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Here is what I have been using for decades. UL and multi-purpose.

IMG_1272
    Nalgene bottle and Outdoor Research insulated bottle carrier. The bottle is wide-mouth and virtually indestructible.

IMG_1273
    1 QT Nalgene weighs 109 grams (3.844 oz)

IMG_1274
    OR insulation weights 103 grams (3.633 oz)

IMG_1275
    Total weight 213 grams (7.513 oz)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Roll it in some clothing as it might be in a pack and it will go longer yet. Anything that will keep cold moving air away will help. Spare socks are easy.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Your avatar says you're from Southern Cal…I wonder what temps you use this system in? I tried the same thing in the Adirondacks, and it turned into slush in just four hours…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Scott,

I only use this in winter in sub-freezing temperatures to keep my water from freezing at night. Sometimes I will cook up a hot beverage or soup and consume it while hiking. Not as good as a Thermos, but weighs a lot less and no concerns about breakage. Weight triumphs over long-term hot every time :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"it turned into slush in just four hours…"

Not nearly enough rum :)

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

between carrying a stove, or just carrying a thermos. While it's nice to stop and heat something up, I have found the urge to keep moving is stronger, so opted for the HydroFlask instead…

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

"Not nearly enough rum :)"

Jamesons…

Believe it or not, on that day – the bottle of Jamesons in my car was a bit slushy too!!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"the bottle of Jamesons in my car was a bit slushy too!"

That is cold! But we're glad you checked it to make sure :D If it is cold enough to make 40% alcohol(80 proof) slushy, it will take a good thermos to keep things hot.

I like to take an Esbit wing stove and a 450ml mug with a small windscreen to whip up some soup or hot beverage. An "Ikea wood stove" and IMUSA mug would be good to make more hot stuff for a small group on a winter day hike.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

"I like to take an Esbit wing stove and a 450ml mug with a small windscreen to whip up some soup or hot beverage. An "Ikea wood stove" and IMUSA mug would be good to make more hot stuff for a small group on a winter day hike."

I tried carrying a Jetboil once, but it was too cold for the canisters so couldn't get a good flame to stay lit. I have a wood stove, but much of the High Peaks area doesn't allow fires, so that won't work…and it seems overkill to bring a full on gas stove like a Dragonfly…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

For winter hiking, I'm thinking of the wettest conditions imaginable, so fire danger just isn't an issue– common sense prevailing of course. A liquid fuel stove would be good for a small group and shared load, but bulky for one or two and day hiking. If you are melting snow, that is about it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I had some items on my bench today and discovered that a Lowepro #2 lens case makes a perfect bottle insulator for a one liter Nalgene. It has a handy dandy super belt loop on the back. Interior dimensions are 8.25" x 3.5" and weight is 6.8oz.

Lowepro #2 lens case
    Lowepro #2 lens case
    Lowepro #2 lens case

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Just wanted to provide an update on REI flask.

I have taken it on couple of hikes, but put it to real test yesterday on a snowshoeing in the Mt.Hood area, the temps were in 30's and the flask stayed in the side pockets of my backpack. I filled it with hot choclate ~7AM and pulled out to drink at ~ 2PM and it was extremely hot that I had to open the lid and let it cool down a bit. The tic-tac button dispenser works very well without any leaks.

Tip: Fill the flask with some boiling water for 5-10 minutes before you pour your drink into it.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

A couple of easy tests you can do.
    The typical temperature inside your fridge is 40f, the freezer should run at around 0
    So depending on what you call cold, shove your insulated container or flask in your fridge /freezer, leave that for the desired time (IE I want my drink to be hot for 2/3/4/5 hours) and you will have a much better idea.
    In my limited experience and insulated container (like the ones for the Nalgene) work for a couple of hours at around 32f.
    (if you start with 750ml/1 L) for lower temps you need a vacuum flask ("Thermos")
    A mate has used the REI flask down to -40 several times, it works well for several hours.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

If you want truly *hot* liquids, get a Stanley or other glass-lined vacuum thermos. I don't worry much about weight on dayhikes, so sometimes I take one for tea and another for soup. (I make someone else carry one if they want me to share, though ;) I don't know that I would take my Stanley on a trip longer than an overnighter, however. It's a definite luxury item with a weight penalty and if it were truly frigid I'd probably choose to spend the ounces on more insulation.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I have tested that when stored inside the freezer, the liquid stays hot for at least 4 hrs. Not sure how your friend manages to keep it ht in -40's. May be be buries it deep in his pack I suppose.

Yes its a luxury item and in my opinion best investment one can make for day hikes in winter.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yes , inside the pack. But I suspect that inside the freezer the contact against either the grate or other frozen stuff will rob the flask of heat faster than air (or inside a pack) , but my main point was that those insulated containers (non vacuum) are a lot less effective.
    BTW, 1 L will of course remain hotter than 750 and 500ml and even more so as you open the flask to drink from it every half an hour or so.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools