Topic

Any suggestions for a good mid-December trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Any suggestions for a good mid-December trip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I'm interested in doing about a ten day trip in southern/central California – or other warm place OOA 11-22 December 2012 I was thinking of something together with Joshua Tree NP, mainly because I've never been there, but definitely open to other ideas.

I just need a relatively easy public transit (or hitch) to TH for start and finish and maybe one simple, accessible resupply along the way. I know this is very general, but hopefully a few of you can suggest some good trips you enjoyed that fit the bill.

Thanks!

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

What sort of daily mileage do you envision? Are you looking to stay on maintained, clear trails or are you okay with some bushwhacking/route finding either on or off-trail?

There are ways to string together a 10-day trip or so in the Los Padres National Forest behind Santa Barbara/Ojai area. There's a few trailheads that leave from in or near town in both of these areas that you could get (reasonably close) to with public transit.

A resupply point might be a little bit of a challenge, but there's probably some work-arounds like using one of the USFS ranger or fire stations, or restaurants/general stores on the edges of the forest. I know some friends have looked into this in the past and a couple of the local businesses seemed open to the idea of hikers using their business for a resupply point (with prior arrangements of course).

If it's something you're interested in, PM me and I can try to give you some more details/thoughts on possible route and resupply options.

-Nick

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools