Topic

What kit sleepingcamp clothing (Michigan mid Nov, Ontario early Dec, ADK High Peaks early Feb)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists What kit sleepingcamp clothing (Michigan mid Nov, Ontario early Dec, ADK High Peaks early Feb)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

As it will be my first autumn & winter backpacking since moving to the US I would like to know what insulated clothing and sleeping kit folk would pack for the below trips.
    I have an idea myself what I would use but would like to hear what other folk have to say first.

1. Nordhouse Dunes, Michigan mid November (overnighter)
    2. Superior Trail, Ontario, early December. (2 nights)
    3. Adirondack High Peaks, New York, early February (3 nights)

Cheers,

Stephen

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Hi Stephen,
    We'll see what forecast looks like as it gets closer, but I'd guess it'll be daytime temps in the 30-50 degree range and nights in the 20s to 30s. I'll be wearing synthetic pants, merino baselayer top, light R1 fleece if needed. In the pack, down sweater and maybe insulated pants. 30 degree quilt.
    Should be a fun trip!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Ike,

It will indeed be a fun trip, what you mention is much similar to what I would use back in the Uk and Ireland at that time of year.

Cheers,

Stephen

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

For the high peaks area, I usually use the Lake Placid weather and subtract about 5F.

Here is the chart: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNY0778

Note that it can get MUCH colder late january,early febuary: in the -20F territory at night. Often it doesn't get much above 10F for a week or two.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks James,

What gear would you be packing?

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I'd also suggest a Google search for "ADK Winter School", and then downloading a copy of the student handbook and equipment checklists — these will give you a good idea of what to take to the High Peaks region…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks John,

I have that book, I am interested what the Bpl folk would pack.

Cheers,

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Stephen,
    Yeah, go with Johns stuff. I gave up winter hiking shortly after I found out I had diabetes. I thought my feet were damaged from freezing, nope… Anyway, the school has good recommendations, though not the lightest…in winter, weight is a distant second place to function, though. I believe they recommend a -20 bag, white gas stove and 4 season tent, minimally. LOTS of extra cloths…days can make the snow "rain" on you with 4-6" wet snow balls.

It is really nice in the winter…you WILL enjoy it.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks James,

That trip in the Adk is actually to attend the Winter School.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I attended the school in 1981. I still remember the weather. Very cold (below 0 F at night), followed by a warmup, then misty drizzle, then very cold (well below 0 F at night).

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

Hi Stephen,

I do the majority of my hiking in the Adirondacks and love it up there in the winter. Fewer people, fewer bugs, and trails that usually require rock hopping are leveled out with the snow. Tons of fun. My buddy and I went up there last year for two nights during one of the -20F (-29C) weekends. It was not something that either of us was seeking out, but I felt good with what I had.

Bag: Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF 0 Degree (overstuffed)
    Pads: Thermarest RidgeRest Sleeping Pad and BMW Torsolite
    Head: Outdoor Research Wind Pro Balaclava
    Hands: Outdoor Research Meteor Mitt Liners
    Feet: Smartwool Mountaineering Extra Heavy Crew Socks
    Legs: Patagonia Capilene 3 Midweight Bottom
    Torso1: Patagonia Capilene 3 Midweight Zip Neck
    Torso2: Outdoor Research Transcendent Sweater (draped this over me inside my bag like a blanket)
    Tent: SMD Lunar Duo

I was somewhat surprised at how comfortably I slept. The only times I felt cold were when a body part would migrate off my pad and hit the ground. I now have a Downmat UL7 and I know that will help keep me warm this upcoming season.

In my humble opinion, the items required for the winter mountaineering course are somewhat overkill for the area. However, I hope to attend the school someday if only to learn how to properly use said gear.

I hope this helps and I agree with James…you'll have a great time!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Steve,

I am really looking forward to it :-)

I have a Downmat 7 UL myself and love it, it will definioey be coming on the trp, they insist on a full length foam pad as a backup also, I wil bring a cut down Ridgerest Soloite with me. I agree some of the items maybe a bit of an overkill but I am lucky enough to have very lightweight and decent winter kit.

How did the Lunar Duo handle snow fall?

Cheers,

Stephen

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

We didn't get any snow on that trip. The only other time I took the Lunar Duo up in the winter we got just a light dusting. The snow slid off nicely but collected at the base of the tent compressing the space within minimally. However, since the Duo is cavernous for one person, it didn't really affect me much. I don't think that it could handle a true snow load, but it wasn't designed to do so either so I can't hold that against it!

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

Here is another interesting link to a good ADK winter day hiking list…

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19433

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Steve,

Do you have a winter tent also?

Thanks Scott,

Will check that out.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Steve…..Have you thought of using a pulk for your extended trips….great light weight piece of equipment/easy to make for winter snow travel that extends safety and comfort as it lightens ones pack.

Many articles on the BPL site.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

conditions in the Adirondacks change frequently, and deteriorate quickly. I would say that the first list in the link I sent is pretty complete, and accounts for just about any conditions.

More importantly is an important law (tried to find the link but couldn't) that says if there is more than eight inches of snow on the ground (which is likely in February) you MUST wear snowshoes or skis. They do enforce this, so be prepared. You can rent them nearby if need be.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Another updated site showing weather and snow amounts in the High Peaks..
    http://www.jackrabbittrail.org/conditions.html

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks Scott,

Its good to know about the Snow shoes.

Hi Ken,

I have never given pulks much thought, can they be used on steep ground?

Thanks both,

Stephen

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

I do not have a dedicated winter tent. Because the regulations in the ADKs do not allow for camping at high elevation, most of the places I've camped have been pretty sheltered. I haven't felt the need for a tent that can withstand really heavy snowload or high winds. In addition, I've found that we've quite often ended up near a lean-to in the winter and I've thought it odd that I've set up a tent when there's a perfectly good 4 season shelter literally yards away.

Also, for what it's worth here's the reg on the snowshoes/skis…

§190.13, f, 3, vii Wilderness Areas in the Adirondack Park
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/13942.html#13945

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Steve….Depending on the steepness, snow quality/type and pulk design are variable that play into this issue. If you place a "runner/keel" on the bottom of the pulk this helps side slipping. How you have attached the pulk to your body or pack is another.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks Ken, the keel is the same principle as with sailing.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That makes sense using the Shelter,

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Generally, in the first few miles from Heart Lake to Marcy Dam, pulks are OK. Down to the flowed lands they work. Depending on the exact trail your route takes you, they are often usefull for yoyos. For any loops including a peak, though, they are generally more trouble than they are worth. Trails are often twisty and can be steeper than a pulk can easily be pulled…or held back. Some are well over 45 degrees and are more like rock climbing than hiking trails. Check with local guides, but I cannot recommend them for general hiking in the High Peaks… Of corse there are always ways these hiking aids can work, depending on weather and your choice of trails…

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

+1 on the comment from James.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools