Topic

Integrated Front Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Integrated Front Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

If (like me) you always:

(1) Wear a windbreaker when backpacking and

(2) Already use a counter-balancing front bag with your backpack…..

then you might be interested in the integrated front bag I describe here. Please excuse the crudeness of the lash-up. This was my first prototype and I only spent a few minutes putting it together.

The first photo shows about 7 lbs of stuff that I put into the front pockets of the windbreaker.

Stuff

The next two photos show the windbreaker filled with stuff. I've crudely added nylon webbing to positions near my nipples for attachment to the backpack. The windbreaker carries the stuff like one might carry a pot belly.

here

here

The next two photos show the windbreaker connected to the backpack. Sorry for the extra confusing straps in the photos. I'm testing several things at once. The webbing simply goes from the nipples of the windbreaker to the top corners of the backpack frame, thereby transferring the weight of the stuff to the frame and back down to my hips.

here

here

This last photo shows the windbreaker attached to backpack frame without the tradtional shoulder straps that most backpacks have. This works OK on good trail. For cross country I would fasten the traditional shoulder straps.

here

I don't see much of a market for this item. How many people do you know who always wear a windbreaker and who always use a front bag? I don't know any other than me (and my brother Daryl).

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

And your other brothers Daryl and Daryl, sorry couldn't resist, but hey why not use it, if it works for you it may work for someone else, cool! The second picture looks awfully painful pulling on your windbreaker nipples, OUCH! I do like the idea simple but effective.

Jack

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools