Topic

New quilt user.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New quilt user.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

I just received my Enlightened Revelation quilt in the mail. First off, it's awesome.

Secondly, going over it I noticed the bungee cord at the bottom will most certainly come out of the loops the way I received it. I toss and turn a lot throughout the night and can't for the life of me think of a way to attach these bungee cords so they'll be adjustable yet will not fall off. Maybe I'm being a little dense but I am drawing a blank.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I don't use the bungees at all. I leave them at home. I just tuck it around me.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I'm not familiar with Enlightened Equipment's strap arrangement, could you provide a photo?

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

I don't use them either. I haven't found them to be even slightly necessary.

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

I have a 40 degree version, and i use only as few of those straps as i can get away with. What i do is run the cord through the two loops once, like the first lace on a shoe, then take the ends together through the first cord lock. instead of knotting them i just use another cord lock on the end… one to adjust and one to stop it from falling off. This way i can easily add the loops for colder trips, or remove them without having to untie any knots. ymmv

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

"I'm not familiar with Enlightened Equipment's strap arrangement, could you provide a photo?"

quilt

jim logan
    BPL Member

@jim_logan

I have used a quilt in Maine for about a year now. I get cold VERY easily, and I found that I froze at 30 degrees. My quilt came with loops but no straps and I did not know what they were for. Now I use a wider pad and straps and I am much more comfortable. The strapping I use (not bungees) weighs very little and has been helpful. Perhaps as your quilt gets near its/your comfort range the bungee straps will prove useful to you.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I have a new EE quilt too, and I can't figure out how to use the dang bungee cords. I'm going out this weekend with temps to the teens, so any insight on how to string the cords through and attach them would be helpful. Are people strapping the EE quilt around their bodies or the pad?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

The warmest way is to cinch them around your body, not the pad as that way you are not warming dead air space.

Personally I don't use them unless it is around 25 F or lower. I don't even have them on 3 of my quilts.

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Mine did not come with the bungee laced. I got three 2ft lengths of it. Here's how it came.

Photobucket

a b

@ice-axe

Thanks a lot!
    I was just telling myself to be patient while my EE Revelation quilt is being made..
    Your pictures have put the kybosh on that strategy!

Lets see.. 3 weeks.. 4 days, 8 hours, 32 minutes, 10 seconds…

Cheers

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

The wait is worth it. The craftsmanship is top notch and boy is it cozy!

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Is that how you are going to strap them? For the life of me, I can't figure out how to secure the dang thangs. :)

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

I have been trying to convert to a quilt but I am having a problem using it with the narrow sleeping pads (neo air). Without the sleeping bag to keep my arms tight to my body I find that they keep falling off the sides of the pad and it is uncomfortable. I've tried crossing my arms but they slide apart after I fall a sleep. Any suggestions? Does anyone sell 72" pads 25" wide?

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Victor, I have that problem as well. In warmer weather, I just tuck my hands int my pockets or waistband, and that mostly works. In colder weather, my quilt is cinched around me tightly enough that my arms stay by my sides. It takes a little getting used to, but it's worked so far.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

Does anyone sell 72" pads 25" wide?

You can get a Xtherm large which is 25 inches wide or Neoair or Xlite or
    THERM-A-REST – RIDGEREST SOLAR in large; all are 25 inches wide.

I find if I take a very thin light foam pad that is 1/4 wide and may 3 feet long and put it inside my quilt beneath me and then sleep on my neoair large that I cut short to 47 inches that it increases the amount of warmth dramatically.

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

This is literally how it came. I'm trying to figure out how it is supposed to work this way.

Chris
    BPL Member

@staplebox

Locale: New England

I came to commiserate. I just got this quilt too and couldn't figure out what to do with those bungee cords. I don't seem to be able to fit 2 cord ends into one lock – which would make it workable.

So I quit and just scavenged the straps that came with my Golite quilt – they have a tiny buckle.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I think Tims idea was that the cordlock would stay behind the loop under tension, but it doesnt too well.

I think, hes experimenting with some different loop materials

What he suggested to me,was just to tie it on one side, then make a small loop on the other end. Put the cordlock thru that small loop, then it can be tightened up, and still removed somewhat easily.

What is desired is something that can be adjusted tight, but quickly undone to get out, the cordlock needs to be like a button in a button hole thru a snug loop. A snap-buckle would be ideal, just heavier most likely.

I suggest a mitten hook on one end, with the cord thru the hole, and the cordlock behind it. Then remove the mitten hook from the loop for instant open.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Thank you for some insight. I tried your method and I still couldn't figure it out. I guess I'm a visual learner.

Anyway, I gave up and just used some twist ties to attach the loops together. I've got to lock this thing down because I'm camping this weekend and the forecast is calling for a low of 4 degrees. Ouch. :)

I'm a little worried about the claimed drafts, but I will be wearing a full puffy layer, and using a bivy, and inside a 3 season tent.

*fingers crossed*

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Play with it and experiment. Find what works for you. Even better, do it when the stakes are low (like in your backyard or car camp with your gear), and you'll be even more confident in the backcountry.

We all do things a bit differently, and it's experience that makes the difference.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Be sure to fluff the down back to the middle before going to sleep. I failed to do that on a cold night and dearly paid the price for it. I was cold and miserable when I failed to realize all of the down had migrated to the ends of the quilt. The down migrates easily in these quilts which is a mixed blessing.

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

Would overfill reduce the migration?

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Tim and other Enlightened quilt users say that is why they choose the overstuff-to reduce how much down migrates. I wish I would have known that before ordering my quilt because I would have chosen that option. At the time I thought it was only to increase the warmth of the quilt. You still need to fluff it before going to sleep but apparently more of the down stays in place in the baffles.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I will be sure to fluff as much as I can. I'm a little tight with the two pads inside of the bivy, so it could be challenging. I did order a 10* overstuff…so I'll be close with this 4 degree forecast.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools