Topic

Gathering of Gear Geeks 2012: Pointe Reyes National Seashore

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Gathering of Gear Geeks 2012: Pointe Reyes National Seashore

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Two spams left in place for forensics.

Now deleted as forensics done.

Cheers

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

can *I* still post?

just checking.

ALSO: I feel I should reiterate that we Alaskans need to have BPL get-together.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Danny and I took our 5 week old son to Sky Camp (another back country campsite at Pt Reyes). He had his longest sleep yet of 5 hours! Baby is going to love backpacking, I can tell already.

Our Double Rainbow gets a 3rd resident. Plenty of room to sleep 3 across on our doublewide mattress

Our Double Rainbow gets a 3rd resident. Plenty of room to sleep 3 across on our doublewide mattress.

-Kristin

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Congratulations! Missed you at the GGG @ Coe. You were busy.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Congratulations to all 3 of you!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Danny,

Your son is a lucky guy to have you both as parents.

He is going to have a life time of stories and adventures to talk about that few of his peers will be able to relate to.

He is going to live the adventures that this friends will only experience in video games.

Lucky, lucky boy.

You will have to share your wisdom about what things worked and did not work out on the trail….gear and techniques needed to care for a little one.

I carried a portable nebulizer for my daughter for her asthma at one point out on the trail.

-Tony

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The most important questions, though: does he like the Montbell pillow? Has he tried the Exped ones?

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Steven – you're already asking for gear reviews from a 5-week-old baby? I don't know if he's prepared to contribute, though I'd have to ask the power that be if he has to buy his own BPL membership first.

Based on his great sleep, I would say he gives the Neo Air two thumbs up, along with our Golite quilt and the Double Rainbow. He sure seemed comfortable hanging out on the Montbell pillow. If Exped wants to send us a pillow to test and compare, we'd be happy to do so!

His polar bear outfit got rave reviews from every single hiker that saw it. Maybe it wasn't ultra light, but it was ultra cute.

Our first backpacking trip was actually pretty easy, because we didn't have to bring any baby food or too much extra stuff – some diapers, baby wipes, extra onsies, and an extra foam sit pad. I used a Moby Wrap on the way in, and Kristin had the Baby Bjorn for the way out, and he slept both ways.

The big thing, of course, was that we had light packs to begin with, and we are very comfortable with our current setup.

Thanks everybody for the kind notes and good wishes. We hope to make it to the next GGG Ken – keep them coming! You are doing a great service to the BPL community and should be given an ultralight award for it.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools