Topic

Mike C’s thoughts on the new “normal”- lightweight backpacking.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Mike C’s thoughts on the new “normal”- lightweight backpacking.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I always love how relaxed and straight forward Mike C is, no sensationalizing or elaborating.

The Revolution

David Ure

@familyguy

Or a bit eccentric. Take your pick:

http://hiddenexperience.blogspot.ca/

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

That's interesting that he thinks lightweight will become mainstream.

I've always felt that it will never become mainstream. The reason being that for most people backpacking is a relatively short term thing in their lives. They are seeking an adventure where they don't know exactly what will happen – they are exploring something new. For them general purpose traditional gear with a lot of built in safeguards for "what if" situations is ideal. By the time they have enough experience and confidence to be able to go lightweight they are probably done with camping.

I do agree those who stick with it for the long term will gravitate towards UL gear, replacing weight with experience.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think lightweight is there, but not what we call ultralight. The message is out that you don't have to take 50# for an overnighter and I think there are many who are in the low 20# range. There are hurdles with clothing, shelter, sleeping pads, cook systems, toys and gadgets.

Other than leaving the obvious junk at home, I think the difference between a 20# kit and a 12# one is how Spartan a setup you can handle. If I start adding to a SUL gear list it is over my head and under my butt :)

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Dave C thinks that Ultralight is dead http://bedrockandparadox.com/2012/10/18/ulisdead/.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools