Topic

What do you sleep on?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What do you sleep on?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

What is under your sleeping Bag?

I have evolved into a Big Agnes air mattress, a tent floor and a ground sheet.
    I have not found a more comfortable mattress as the BA.
    (For those of you that say; Comfort sometimes does trump lightness)

Doug

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I switched from Thermarest to BA a while back. I was tired of tossing and turning trying to get warm and comfortable. My latest pad, a BA Insulated Air Core good to around 15F, weighs 23 oz since I decided to go for the long this time. It's been great not having my feet sitting on top of something else for a change. I've had quite a few "slept right through the night(s)" lately…great for these old bones.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Evazote pad and bivy

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just last year, I "graduated" from a blue foam to a self-inflating pad (REI Lite Core). Aging is no fun. :(

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

GG Nightlight Torso (pack under my legs) and GG spinnaker ground cloth. And forget the compressed down, I just finished a homemade quilt (17.5 oz) that I used successfully down to 30* the other night. I couldn't be happier with it, it turned out great!
    I don't think I sacrificed a whole lot of comfort switching from an old Thermarest to the GG pad. Its shorter, but provides a lot of padding and warmth for such a small weight. I was actually just as comfortable on it the other night as I ever was with the Thermarest.

Adam

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

Have a 3/4 original, full size original, & luxury thermarest.
    Now am thrilled with the comfort & lightness (13 oz) of my short prolite 3 thermarest. And I am a fussy sleeper.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

Air–in a Hennessy hammock. That's by far the most comfortable for me, winter or summer.

On the ground I've been using a GG ThinLight 1/8" pad with a GG NightLight Torso or BMW Torsolite. Neither arrangement is very comfortable for my creaky bones, so I picked up an OR/Exped DownMat 7 Short. I haven't tried it yet, though. I'm willing to carry some extra weight rather than have wakeful nights, but not quite as much as my original 2.3-pound Therm-A-Rest. Maybe if I spent more than a week out at a time I could get used to thinner pads.

William Siemens

@alaskaman

in warmer weather (just below freezing an up) an Exped foam air. In subzero, an Exped downmat 9. I seriously begrudge the weight – 26 oz for the foamair – but I knew I could no longer use my 1/8 ensolite, or 1" thermarest when I awoke so stiff that I literally could not tie my shoes in the morning. Stuff happens when you pass 60.

Valentin Zill

@valentin-zill

Locale: Europe

I sleep on a Gossamer Gear 3/8" pad, cut to torso size. Guess that's the lightest option one can choose. It's far from beeing comfortable, but it works and you know… Who cares about comfort? ;-)
    However, I find that my legs tend to become quite cool during the night. Has anybody got advice for me how I can solve that problem? Insulating pant? Or does it really help to use the empty pack? I don't carry any spare clothing with my that I don't wear at night either.
    Below the GG ThinLite I have a GG Polycro ground sheet.
    Of course that system works only in the warmer season w/temperatures above 32F.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Option 1 (using LL treking poles that double as cot side poles)

Luxury Lite 3/4 length ultralight cot
    GG ThinLight 1/8" full length
    No ground sheet

Option 2 (using kompedell CF poles)

Thermarest ProLite 3 3/4 length
    GG Polycro ground sheet

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Montbell torso pad + Montbell inflatable pillow on top of a 3/8" GG thinlite pad cut to 48". A lot of warmth and comfort for 16.1 oz. Vapor Trail pack goes under my lower legs and feet.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

> I find that my legs tend to become quite cool during the night. Has anybody got advice for me how I can solve that problem? Insulating pant?

A piece of GossamerGear ThinLight 1/8" sleeping pad cut to fit under your legs will make a big difference. (It's all I use with a quilt.) It will be much lighter than insulated pants if you weren't going to bring them anyway; a full-length GG ThinLight 1/8" pad weighs only 2.5 oz, and you could probably cut it down to 1 oz for just the legs.

David Chan

@iamthechan

Locale: Southern California

GG Nightlight Torso pad, pack under legs, waterproof bottom bivy. (homemade quilt on top)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

ProLite 3

Jeremy Lynn Franchow

@jfranchow

Locale: The Great Basin

GG Nightlight Torso pad, Thermarest Lite Seat for the bony hips, Polycryo Ground Cloth

bobby moore

@mooremoorebobby

The Insul Mat Uber Micro. Torso length at 3oz. It's Superb!

Richard Matthews

@food

Hennessy Hammock.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

3/4 length Ridgerest
    Tent floor or, if in a tarp, plastic poncho groundcloth, or, in dry warm weather sometimes, just the Ridgerest
    Pack under feet (for slight foot elevation as well as insulation/ground protection)

I am 56 and thus have every right to be creaky and need more padding, but since I sleep on an old packed-down futon at home, lack of padding while camping doesn't make much difference. It just depends on what you are used to.

Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

Thermarest Prolite 3 short (14.5 oz with sack), montbell #3, and usually the floor of a leanto. Otherwise the floor of a double rainbow. I haven't tried many pads, mostly since the stores around here don't have them, and I've always liked the Thermarests. I don't think I need a down filled one since I don't normally camp in winter outside of huts.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Hennessy Hammock with a prolite 3 for warmth.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Mainly a Hennessy Hammock with a No Sniveller underneath. When on the ground, a Prolite 4 regular at 24 oz (675g). This thread will hopefully help me do better.

Matthew Swierkowski

@berserker

Locale: Southeast

3/4 length TR Prolite 4 with a short piece of a cheap blue foam pad for my legs and feet. The blue foam pad piece also makes a nice camp chair.

Janet Brewster

@jgranite25

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Full-length Prolite 4, though I need to consider a 3/4 length and using my pack. I get cold too easily and my hips get too sore with thinner pads.

Under my tent or tarptent I use thin plastic sheeting from the hardware store (paint tarps that I cut to size) — super lightweight, cheap, and durable, but not terribly enviro-friendly. Any thoughts on something lightweight that's not so disposable?

Jason A. Grafft

@jgrafft

Locale: Inland Empire (of smog)

gossamerGear NightLight torso pad and Polycryo ground sheet. If the ground is cold, wet or uncomfortable I sheath my legs with a heavily modified (down to approximately 23oz) Deuter Speed Lite 30 pack.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

>Any thoughts on something [ground sheet] lightweight that's not so disposable?

Gossamer Gear Polycryo Ground Cloth (small: 1.3 oz; medium: 1.5 oz; large: 5.6 oz). I've used my small many times and it is holding up well. It is absolutely water-impermeable (I've slept on a puddle). I overlooked a sharp stick when pitching my tent, and it hurt when I sat on it. I broke the stick off through the tent floor and the ground cloth, with no harm to either. However, the last time I used my large, I shoved a tent peg through it and punctured it less than an inch from the edge. The next day there was a 3" tear from the edge near that location, which I ignored. While giving it a vigorous two-person shaking the next morning, the entire sheet ripped in half. So while the material is quite puncture and wear resistant, a tear should be taped immediately to prevent it from propagating catastrophically.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools