Topic

Montane Aero or Featherlite – which is better?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Montane Aero or Featherlite – which is better?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I've found some good deals on the Aero and Featherlite wind shirts, but I'm wondering which one is better/lighter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Erik Sund

@sundek

Hello Joe,

I had a Featherlite until a stray ember from a campfire did it in. I liked it quite a lot. It blocked wind well, put up at least resistance in the rain, absorbed little water and dried quickly. The breathability was pretty good. I got plenty of moisture buildup when I tried to play soccer in it (I forgot my away kit) but that was asking a lot of the shirt.

Having said all of that, I just ordered an Aero from GearX. They have both the Featherlite and the Aero on sale for $40 but didn't have any Featherlites in Medium. Even so, I probably would have ordered the Aero. I think that the Pertex Quantum is pretty much ideal for a windshirt (I have a Feathered Friends Vireo in Quantum and really like it) and though many folks here like hooded windshirts that's not my thing. So I'm pretty excited about the Aero.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I am now joining the Windshirt Club! I didn't know that GearX had the Featherlite, but the Aero price was REALLY enticing! Choosing between the two, at the same price, is not a hard decision to make. Thanks for the input.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

When I was researching windshirts, I found several recommendations to go one size up on the Montane Aero. I did, and it fits nicely. I don't know whether this applies to the Featherlite or not.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

The sizing up notion is only for older stock I believe. Having heard that idea I purchased a 2006 Featherlite in size XL (I'm a size Lg) and it was way too big for me.

Erik Sund

@sundek

I think that Sam's got it. I wore a size M Featherlite happily and so I ordered a size M Aero. I'll let you know how it works out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am looking for a featherweight, non-coated, highly breathable wind shell. Water resistance is not desired. I have the OR Ion and it fails the breath test, for me anyway, but there are others visiting this site who are very satisfied with it. Do either one of these Montane Jackets fit the above criteria? Thanks in advance for your help.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Do either one of these Montane Jackets fit the above criteria?

I can vouch for the Montane Aero (XXL: 3.2 oz). It is made from non-coated and highly-breathable Pertex Quantum with mildly-effective DWR. I have never had any condensation on the inside of this; on the contrary, I have dried a soaked base layer through it in damp weather. It is also fully windproof, as I've worn it in below-freezing 50mph wind and didn't feel the gusts. I'm having a hard time resisting buying another for when this one wears out, but so far it isn't showing any wear at all. It is one of the few pieces of gear that, for me anyway, truly functions optimally.

I'd like to know if anybody is as fanatic about the Featherlites smock or jacket, since that seems to be its slightly-heavier replacement (Pertex Microlight).

Jaiden .

@jaiden

I researched both of these, but have not used either, so this is JUST what I've read…

I ended up buying the houdini for the hood and better (as reviewed) water resistance.

From what I hear, the quantum is lighter and more breathable, but the microlight has better water resistance. Since the water resistance was a big goal for me, I bought the houdini. If I already had decent rainwear, I'd have chosen the quantum aero and used it just for wind. Or if I were rich, I'd have bought all three.

YMMV (a lot!)

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Douglas, I'm a fanatic about my Montane Featherlite jacket! It's THE best piece of clothing I own hands down! Buy two, so when you wreck one, you have the other to continue on backpacking with.

I'd actually like to see how a jacket made of Pertex Endurance works because I like the 'hand' of the fabric on EMS's -20 down bag so much. I think it would be sufficiently lightweight and durable for bushwhacking without poor ventilation. Anyone know of a Pertex Endurance jacket?

Erik Sund

@sundek

Gene –

I'm not aware of a Pertex Endurance windshirt. If you can sew, obviously you could make one.

You could also try the Integral Designs wind jacket. It's made of "Pertex 685" which may (or may not) be similar.

Good luck!

George Gagesch

@coolbreeze-2

I have the Aero and the only thing that would improve it is if they put a hood on it to keep the wind off my neck when idle. Pertex Quantum is not very water resistant but extremely breathable. It dries instantly. At 3.2 oz it never stays at home. Definately one of my favorite pieces of gear. Packs the size of a baseball.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools