Topic

gloves/mittens

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) gloves/mittens

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dale Caldwell
    Spectator

@dalemc

Locale: Coastal Georgia

Is it silly to wear a pair of gloves under mittens? I have a pair of Ecowool possum/merino gloves and want some extra warmth. Still not sure if I want to use a fleece mitten over these or down. But I am wondering if wearing the gloves under the mittens defeats the advantage of a mitten…. which is to have the fingers together for added warmth, right??

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Nothing is wrong with a waterproof, breathable, wind blocking mitten over some soft gloves.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

In cold weather one glove system I use is wool defeet duragloves under OR PL400 mits, with wp/b mits overtop of all that to block wind and moisture.

I like this combo because it gives me dexterity when I need it, added warmth when I don't, and relatively thin layers that are easy to dry in my sleeping bag if they get damp.

-David

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Actually Mittens over gloves makes a lot of sense. Generally you want to pull off the mittens when you need to do something with your hands that requires more dexterity without completely exposing your hands to the elements. So having glove liners to go under you mittens is ideal. Just make sure your gloves block wind.

jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

Locale: Katahdin

It's a good idea, a mitt system will give you more versatility. For most 3 season use I can get away with possumdown gloves and MLD rain mitts. For winter use i'll throw on a pair or Warmlite VB gloves, BRG down mitts and the MLD rain mitts over it all. Depending on temperature and weather you can interchange different layers to meet your needs.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

It's not silly at all, it's ideal. A system of light liner gloves, warm mittens, and mitten shells will handle a wide range of conditions, and as others have mentioned, if you have to wear it all and need to perform a task that requires dexterity, you can take off the outer layers and still have some protection on your hands. And if you don't need the full capability of all three, the liner gloves and shell are a good combo. Even an uninsulated mitten shell adds quite a bit of warmth, especially in the wind, not to mention the rain/snow shedding.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

No different than layering any other clothing. Like using a windshirt with a fleece, you can use the layers separately or together, especially if you already own both :)

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

I haven't used them for backpacking, but I have a pair of fingerless gloves with a mitten cover that folds back. They worked great for photographing Yosemite Valley a few years back on Thanksgiving weekend. I'm going with a slightly lighter system, but same idea, for this winter.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I love glomitts. I have nice gloves and very nice mittens, but I almost always grab my glomitts first.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Nothing is wrong with a waterproof, breathable, wind blocking mitten over some soft gloves.
    +1

Cheers

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I use glove liners under mitts in winter. Smartwool glove liners plus velcro=(UNPRINTABLE)!! Has anybody solved this? that is, the slow tearing away of merino liners by velcro straps. I guess I'm really asking, what to buy once my merino liners become frayed beyond use. Otherwise, I like merino liners!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Wool liners and a light shell mitt is my GO TO configuration for all seasons. (In winter, I have a thick wool mitt packed JIC, but rarely need it).

Find it works quite well for the versatility, warmth and weather proofness.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I use smartwool glove liners with large OR gortex shells, but I don't carry an extra mid layer. Can anyone recommend good ultralight midlayers to check out?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Many people are a fan of the OR PL400 fleece mitts:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/gloves/womens-pl-400-mitts.html

A women's M is under 3 oz.

Not bad.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ that's my combo when the thermometer really drops

the Endeavor mitts may be discontinued, but am sure they replaced it w/ something else- very sturdy shell under 4 oz

got a Highly Recommended seal here

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/or_endeavor_mitt_spotlite_review.html

the PL400 mitts in Men's size large are only 2.8 oz

I usually also have a 1 oz glove liner for anything that requires a lot of dexterity

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools