Topic

Tyvek Ground Sheets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Tyvek Ground Sheets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I'm with John Devitt–I would prefer 84" x 36" sheets. If people really want a sheet that is 84" x 30", they could always cut 6" off the side, and then use their vacuum sealer to make 6" bombproof envelopes for their Kahtoola Microspikes, tent stakes, or whatever else they can think of.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

60 X 96 would be my order and thanks for supplying the goods.

Jay

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

60×96 is ideal for me.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I added the 30×84 and 60×96 to my website today. They are instock and ready to ship. The longer sizes will be added in a week or two when I get more material instock. Also I am now offering $5.00 First Class International Shipping.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Hi Lawson,

I see the groundsheets are listed as "Features: Lightweight, Durable, Water-resistant, Compact". How water-resistant are they?

Edit: NM, found this: http://industrialpackaging.dupont.com/4products/index.html

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Got my 30×84 sheet today. Same stiff, yet slick Tyvek that most are used to except slightly less burly. I think this could be a great compromise for those folks who are leery of polycro's perceived lack of durability, yet don't want to carry standard "heavy" Tyvek. Some field testing will tell the tale.

Ryan

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I have sold quite a few of these ground sheets so far and was wondering if there was any other feedback?

Thanks,
    Lawson

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Used mine for two nights on the AT this past weekend. Worked well. Forgot to crinkle mine until night #2 – that was a mistake.

Ryan

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have received mine, but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. just curious though, is this variety safe to wash as well? just hoping to soften it up.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Haven't had a chance to try mine yet, but it's clearly very strong, much stronger than polycro. My only concern, still theoretical at this point, is that it may be less grippy than polycro, but I could be totally wrong about that.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Thanks for all the feedback. Tyvek in general is more slippery then Polycro but as you use the Tyvek, it gets less and less slippery. Basically it like wine, it gets better with age until you destroy it some way. To speed up the "break-in" process you can always crinkle it like Ryan suggested or wash it in your washing machine wtih cold water. Let me know if there are any questions and I look forward to hearing any and all feedback.

Thanks again,
    Lawson

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I am planning to add the 60"x120" and 60"x156" for tunnel tents. While I am at it, are there any other sizes people would like to see?

Thanks,
    Lawson

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Per your suggestion, Lawson, have run one of my groundsheets through the washer, on the sheet cycle, and it is much softer, and less slippery feeling. Not sure if the Tyvek itself has become less slippery; it may just be that all the wrinkles add grip. Crumpled it up before putting it in washer, though forgot to put in ear plugs first. Hearing seems to be returning just fine.

Geoffrey Lehmann
    BPL Member

@yipper

Locale: deep south

"While I am at it, are there any other sizes people would like to see?"

36 x 84"

geoff

Jim Leonard
    BPL Member

@mxracer33x

Locale: West Coast

I dont recall seeing it posted anywhere or reading it in one of your emails (which I appreciate!), but is the tyvek being discontinued in the store or just going to be a while before it gets put back into stock?

Robert Burke
    BPL Member

@coastiebob

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking

I totally missed this. I sent Lawson an e-mail. He is very good about responding, so I will post what he says on here unless he responds on here first.

One of the things I love about this site is the ability for innovators who have a wide array of products to display their newest ideas/products.

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools