Topic

Week-long trips and Jetboil fuel usage and menu ala Jetboil?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Week-long trips and Jetboil fuel usage and menu ala Jetboil?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I have many week-long trip opportunities (4-5 days, maybe longer) popping up from Dec 2012 – Aug 2013 . I have a Jetboil on order since most of my buddies report being able to use just one canister for their cooking needs for 5-6 day trips. Optimistic?

Also any advice on menus? I know that adding food directly into the Jetboil pot can lead to bubbling up (from said buddies cries of pain when their pasta boiled over onto their hands).

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

my Pocket Rocket did over 2 weeks on one 100g canister with boiling 1-2cups of water per night. i assume jetboil is more efficient than that.

so… anything freezer bag cooking will keep the "burn time" low so you use very little per day.

i'm a big Pasta Side + additions fan. tuna, fried onions, etc lots of flavor options and when repackaged in freezer bag.. no clean up.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I routinely heat 28oz in the morning and 28oz in the evening and get 6 days – 12 28oz servings. This is with the Ti Sol and the Jetboil cartridge. In addition, mornings are near freezing with evening temps in the 40's and I am camped at elevations between 10,000 to 12,000 feet.. I keep the canister warm in my bag at night and bring it to an almost boil. Water temps are 45f or colder.

My menu is hot drinks and oatmeal in the morning and freeze dried dinners and ramen in the evening. I do not use the JetBoil for anything other than heating water. Yes the ramen noodles aren't super soft but that is OK with me. This is for 2 people. By myself I have gone up to ten days on a cartridge but heated just one cup in the morning and two cups at night eliminating hot drinks and ramen.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Any FBC friendly recipe works great with a JetBoil – you can either add the hot water to the bag or once your water has boiled, dump in the ingredients, turn off the stove and let sit covered for 10 minutes. No boil-over that way!!

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I used a 3.5 oz. fuel can with my Jetboil Sol and boiled about 2 1/2 cups per meal (20 oz.) and had about 22 meals on the can (the Jetboil rep I've talked to has (depending on the trip temperature/elevation/wind/water temp) gotten from 22 to 30 meals of about 2 cups boiled per meal on a single 3.5oz. Jetboil canister. Pretty darn impressive and you can hear the water start to approach boiling in under a minute (took about 2 minutes to boil 2 cups). Enjoy !

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

Didn't even go through an entire 4 oz canister in 7 days. Heated one cup of water per day for dinner and roughly 4/5 cups for coffee. Used the Jetboil TI on the Sierra High Route. I did carry a spare just in case of a canister failure.

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

I took a JetBoil Sol Ti on the JMT in August. I made two brews of tea and one hot meal per day, each of 500 mls. The tea was heated to 75c, and the meal water – Mountain House type or oatmeal- heated to boiling. I got 31 brews/meals out of one Snow Peak Giga Power 110gm canister, which, for me , was 9 days, so I only ever had to carry one small canister between resupply.

This stove is so fast, the tea took only 1.5 mins.

However, don't try heating food in the Jetboil, even gentle reheating of porridge for 30 secs burnt the pan base above the heat exchanger.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@John H,

That is just amazing!

At that rate it is almost justifiable to carry the additional 4 or so ounces for it over a traditional 600ml pot, sidewinder, and esbit stand (which for me is 104.61 grams / 3.69 oz) just for the weight of a single canister versus 8 days worth of esbit (based on your cooking schedule, would be a little over, maybe right at, 1oz of esbit per day).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools