Topic

Section 12 of the MST trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Section 12 of the MST trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam Suiter

@charlestonff

Locale: South East

I am wanting to take up backpacking and want to start out with a smaller 2 day hiking trip. I am thinking about going with a buddy on the MST trail and do section 12 from Ripshin Ridge to Beacon Heights Overlook in Pisgah NF. I am thinking about going in early November or early December. Are the roads, and trails open this time of year?

I am also looking for a map with camp sites along the trail as well as any information/ recommendations anybody has on this section fo the trail. I am also looking for other recommendations of potential 2 day trails. Like I said I am new to this and I don't have much gear and need to get started any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Adam

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I don't know much about the trail, but a quick look at their website shows they have maps and trail info. As far as gear goes, just remember to keep it simple. Look on Steepandcheap.com for super cheap gear. Don't go right out and buy a $500 tent or a $300 pack until you know what you like.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

pm sent.
    Hopefully Scott Waldop, Brad Fisher, Walter C, or Craig Burton will chime in as well. I got a lot of help from those guys when I was planning my trip.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I doubt you will have any trouble accessing the trails. However they will close the Blue Ridge Parkway if they see any chance of icing. I have use this number for BRP weather conditions 828-298-0398. BTW this is the termination of section 12 at Beacon Heights if my memory serves me correct.

This section passes through the Wilson Creek (proposed wilderness area) which is really nice. I did my first hike of this area last year. Not sure how I avoided it all these years, but this will definitely be one of my winter locations. The elevation of the area is lower, so no real worry of bad weather. Check the forecast before going, but I would guess things would be open over 90% of the time. Lower trailheads around Wilson Creek would be easy to access.

When I did the area I just pieced together several trails and made a 2 day loop. Lot of options if you would rather do a loop as opposed to section 12 which would require a car drop or some help shuttling.

I have a map of section 12 with some camp sites highlighted. Can't comment on them, but Wilson creek has plenty of camp sites. From a quick look at the map I would say you would have a ton of options to chose from. If you would like the map send me a PM with an email address. It is in pdf version. Only limitation in camping might be close to the BRP.

Let me know if you have more specific questions

Brad

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools