Topic

How many BPL members have you met?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How many BPL members have you met?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

With G.G.G.s right around the corner I've been thinking about how many BPLrs I've actually met through the years. And what a great group they have been too.

Since backpacking is taken up by only a small percentage of folks, and UL packing folk are a still much smaller group, how many of you have actually met another member?

Since doing the G.G.G.s I've been lucky enough to meet about a hundred of you. Amazingly enough when you get a group together they all play well with each other for the most part. An activity that bridges all kinds of socioeconomic gaps.

Good on you.

Seek others. It's worth it.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

On this side of the pond I have met two Ken, one for a trip in Michigan and and another for two trips in the Rockies.
    Not bad going because I have only been in the US since Febuary and was back in Europe working or on leave for two of those months.

In the UK I have met a couple but at Outdoorsmagic meets but they post here regularly.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

None, yet. UL isn't a big movement in Alaska yet and have only noted one other BPL member from Alaska so far. But mostly I'm here to learn so that I can take what I learn here and put it into practice so I can enjoy hiking/backpacking more with all my friends whether they are focusing on UL or not.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

About 6 fairly current members/posters and 2 who were active members years ago. 1 pooch.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I think the count is at 12 for me (Grand Canyon R2R2R run and Pecos Wilderness group trips '11 and'12), including HK Newman, who I randomly ran up to (literally) on a trail run a few weeks ago. I want to meet more of you in person and I'm pretty sure I will over time.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

None, so far. But that will change on Friday!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Hey Rowan–unless it's just an extreme coincidence you met a BPL member in 2010 on a trip to Willet Hot Springs in the Los Padres NF. Me. We were hiking with Ray Estrella amongst others though I don't know if he was with BPL at that time. Sometimes us BPL people like to remain anonymous but show by example.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

I can come up with at least six people that i've met who are or have been members or posters here, maybe there's more. Do wish i could make it to the GGG or one of the big group runs or trips to meet more of you… Maybe one day.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Thanks to the Kens, I've met many members at the GGGs. I've only met one on my own, when I went to pick up an order of bio-ethanol from Harald nearby.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

DK not only has met a bunch, but fed them delicious brownies as well. Twice.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Seven with only one random meeting on the trail that I know of (Andrew Wolff). One I met here and caught a ride out west to the winds with (Jen Mitol). The rest I met at THE UPPER MIDWEST GGG last may which is about to happen again on the weekend of oct 26,27&28 In which anyone interested in light or ultralight backpacking is welcome to attend

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

Don Amundson says:
    "Hey Rowan–unless it's just an extreme coincidence you met a BPL member in 2010 on a trip to Willet Hot Springs in the Los Padres NF. Me. We were hiking with Ray Estrella amongst others…"

Oh, hi, Don! You're absolutely right, we have met. I didn't realize you were on here. And I forgot about Ray, since I didn't meet him through BPL. So I guess that makes two members I've met.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I've met about 3 BPLer's.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Has anyone ever been hiking down a trail, seen somebody with a cuben fiber pack (or any ultralight gear) and found that person to be a BPL member?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Has anyone ever been hiking down a trail, seen somebody with a cuben fiber pack (or any ultralight gear) and found that person to be a BPL member?"

Yes. Josh and I ran into someone at Point Reyes. I ran into a couple of people at Henry Coe that were there the same weekend as the GGG and were not aware of it taking place.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Having hopped on a plane? About 10 at the Grand Canyon R2R2R.

Around town or on the local trails? None. Dena is, I think, the closest in Alaska. Which is akin to being in NYC and the nearest BPLer being in Boston (if, you know, all the people were spruce trees and mountains).

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Douglas Ide and I spent 7 long years together in a small dank Turkish prison cell.

The only thing that got us through it was long talks about CLO, cuben fiber, global warming and U.S. presidential politics.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools