Topic

Stoic brand being discontinued?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stoic brand being discontinued?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Robert Scott

@tarheelras

I was on the Backcountry.com site a little while ago looking at the Stoic Somnus bags because I think I'd like a center zip and the Somnus has received some pretty good reviews.

I noticed that all of them are "Temporarily Out of Stock." I started a live chat session with a "Gear Guru" and was told that the Stoic brand is being discontinued and there may be no more Somnus bags.

Has anyone else heard about this?

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Yep. My friend's roommate worked for Backcountry as a product designer. Stoic is going bye-bye.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

I hope it's not true as it was good value brand that produced some decent gear.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

sad, they made decent lightwt stuff for the price.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

As far as I understood the rep I was talking to he said they were going to have one more season. Either way too bad.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Maybe they are moving back to the "backcountry.com" Goat Brand? I can't imagine they are ending their product line all together.

Robert Scott

@tarheelras

I am certainly glad I bought my titanium cook pot and spork when I did.

I hope they do another full season, maybe I can still get one of the Somnus bags before they become extinct.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

That's a shame. Stoic branded products are great values. :(

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Nooooooooooo. I don't have the money to stock up on more merino shirts. :(

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

sadly the marketplace seems to be trending more towards brands with "outdoursy" perceived associations, rather than the actual value of the product …

i suspect the majority of the marketplace is blinded by logos and branding …

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Stoic where blinded by the ghastly colours of some of the kit they are selling.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I have a forest green Stoic Wraith wind shirt that I like very much.
    I would prefer that they stay around.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

More than half my hiking clothes are the Stoic brand. I may not look so cool wearing their gear, but they sure are practical for backpacking.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Maybe they will relaunch under a different name,

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I bought a Hadron which looked fine on the website but in real life the colour was like something out of a 80's disco.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

It's hard to sell to the fashionable Irish walker these days. Probably what forced them out of business :-P

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

There not going out of business, a rep told me that "there going in another direction".

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

It's far from fashion which bothers me but the Purple hadron was too much, us Irish aren't in to crazy colours :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Michael,

Backcountry are probably bringing the gear out under a different brand name.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Friends,

Stoic is going the way of the dodo. It appears that it is best for Backcountry.com to focus on selling the best gear with the best guarantee.

From what I have been told, this is Stoic's last season. Having known for a while, I didn't feel right to post about a brands discontinuation until officially announced (which has yet to be seen).

I've also been told that future products will be "collaborations" with other brands, much like Backcountry.com did several years ago (IMO, the BC.com stuff blew Stoic out of the water, at least build-wise).

Stoic has one of the best designers in the game working for them, who has commented on this forum in the past. Looking forward to seeing the great things that Bill H and crew will be working on in cahoots with other brands.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

us Irish aren't in to crazy colours :-)

To be sure to be sure …
    Irish colours

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That must be he Auditions for River Dance ;-)

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Robert, I have a Somnus 15 for sale. pm me if interested

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

I would say the clear reason this brand failed was really because of a marketing problem. I believe they had their customer all wrong. Looked like they were trying to market to teen-30 years old and they had the worst lineup of colors in the market. I'd say with a different color palate and a marketing team going after ultralighters and backpackers rather than snowboard/skater types who go camping, they'd have a much more successful company. Seems obvious to me, but I'm just an average consumer.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the problem is that modern outdoor clothing is not sold on value generally … if it was we would probably go to target and costco … or those discount outlets …

its sold on perception … either of association where if you wear a certain brand, youll think you are part of some athletic outdorsy group … or on perception of performance where it seems like just because (insert name) used it on everest, you need to have it for walking your dog …

now there are those who value products that do the job at a minimal price without all the branding fuss … but those are a fairly small market, and honestly, the discount shops have that covered to a large degree …

clothing is all about perception, not reality … stoic unfortunately did not have the cachet of a fancy name and logo … or the blind faith of a religious following …

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools