Topic

kookabay still around?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) kookabay still around?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Howdy Folks,
    It's been some time since I've been around here. A number of years of traveling and growing up will do that to you I guess. Anyhow I am back in the states and remember before I left that the guy at Kookabay could make me a custom 2 person DAM. I just looked and can't seem to find the company anywhere. Any insights?
    many thanks,
    Sean

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

No. Iirc, no reason was given for closing down. One member was asked if he'd like to buy the business.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=42520&startat=100

Bottom line is that Kooka Bay is no more. It's a shame really as I love my Kooka Bay mat. However, there are now a lot more UL pads available from mainstream manufactures than when Kooka Bay started out.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Yea, I've had my ear to the ground with a lot of these new mats but man, there is no replacement for a plush down mat underneath you, especially a double wide that keeps a lady happy and warm. Weight I'll happily carry anyday. I'll see if i can dig up the old emails and get in touch.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

What about the Exped ul downmat? It is 19.5oz for a 20×72. You could strap 2 together and only take 1 of the 1.7oz pumpsacks. I don't think Kookabay was a whole lot lighter, at least in that size with the same 6oz of down.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I really like my Down Mat UL7, it's just as nice and weighs the same as a similar rated Kookabay pad I had in the past.

Matt DeLapp

@atrocket10

Are there any relatively lightweight 2 person sleeping pads on the market? or is tying two pads side by side together the way to go?

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

There's definitely still a market for custom pads – doubles and a short wide pad (I would love one of these.) But I don't think Bender is going to be contactable.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Yea, strapping two together has never worked for me, the weakspot is always right where the snuggle happens.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It is certainly too bad that nobody has stepped up to fill this gap! I feel fortunate in that I acquired a Bender pad before he disappeared from view.

One problem with coupling the Exped mats is that the outer tubes are a little bigger than the inner ones. This is great for one person trying not to roll off a single pad, but not for two people trying to snuggle together over two larger tubes!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools