Topic

Let’s Talk Recycled Water Bottles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Let’s Talk Recycled Water Bottles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have not seen the #2 style of bottles here.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Bottle #1

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

This has been my go-to bottle for a few years. These are plastic bottles with a wide mouth. I cannot get them in California anymore so when my son was in school in Idaho he would pick them up for all of us. I have quite a few of them. I like the wide mouth because they are easy to fill and they are not as wide as a Gatorade so they fit easier in my side pocket. I usually take one of these bottles and then a 1 liter Platy that I use when needed. Since these are 1 liter they are nice for using with chlorine dioxide drops. I also used it with my Steripen Adventurer since that model is round not oval
    Here is a view of two wide mouth bottlesWide Mouth Soda Bottle
    and a side by side with a standard and wide mouthWide and Small

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Scott,

I we're not being too forward here what are your measurements, of the wide mouth openings of your go to bottles? ;-)

Gatorade opening is 1 1/4" and Powerade opening is 1 1/8" inside diameter.

Can you give us the weights of your go to bottles?

What is your method of carry? Based on the shape of these samples in the pictures I'm guessing that your pack has water bottle pockets on the sides of your pack. I looked at your gear list from 2009 and I think that I may have answered my own question on this one.

Party On,

Newton

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

I am at the office so I cannot measure right now. I may be able to do so later.

I am pretty sure they bottle weighs in at .5 oz. I use a Mariposa Plus, Gorilla 2012 or an older Murmur pack. All of those packs have pockets on the side which I can access while hiking. I do not have to stop. That is why I like these. They are not real wide and fit nicely into those pockets.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Scott,

Thanks for the PM with the measurements. ;-)

"… the inside of the wide mouth measures 1 3/16".

Here's another one that I've found.

Promised Land bottle

The bottle in the above picture is a 1 quart bottle. I spotted it in the dairy case at Walmart. The opening is @ 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" wide ID. I'm sorry that I have no weight or exact measurements. The bottle doesn't suit my style of carry and we really don't need the extra sugar in the house.

The bottle does appear to be about the thickness of a soda bottle and it has a rather slim profile. It may suit someone elses needs just fine.

BTW it is a number "1" type of plastic.

This company does use this bottle for other products of theirs that are not as "sweet". Just Google Promised Land milk, egg nog etc.

Party On,

Newton

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

When I need greater water capacity, I prefer carrying a pair of 1.8 liter Gatorade bottles. Along with a bladder for my Sawyer Squeeze, that gives me all the capacity I need.

When I need a little less water, I like carrying a pair of 1.5 liter Lipton Green Tea bottles. The advantage with these is that the threads are compatible with my Sawyer Squeeze, so it gives me a back up that I've taken advantage of on one hike.

The only time I haven't needed that much capacity was in the Sierras, but I just left my bigger bottles partially filled instead of ditching a bottle or switching to smaller bottles.

I do use a 32 oz Gatorade or Powerade bottle for a potty bottle, and I try to make sure that it's significantly different than what I'm using for water bottles.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

I don't mean to jump on the question to Scott but I have my scale and the bottle he is referring to in front of me. They have been my favorite bottles for the last year. The bottle holds 24oz is a #1, weighs 1.2oz with the original cap and the mouth opening measures 1 3/16" It's slim shape works well in my packs side pockets. I don't like the original caps so I replace mine with a standard screw on. Interestingly they are lighter than the smaller G2 bottles and the cap from other gatorade bottles won't fit it–why they used a lighter material and a different cap thread makes no sense but it is what it is. The problem in my area is finding these bottles. My last source was the local 99 cent store.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I really liked the Gatorade #1 bottle with the twist cap. they seem to be harder to find around here.. the caps are not super sturdy if you drop the bottle top down. The twist top is nice for drinking without stopping. i wish they were 1L not 24oz though.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Last weekend I went on a section hike and got to try out a bottle that is now my new favorite. I have gone through four different favorite recycled bottle in the past year, but I think this one will be hard to beat.

And of course for the record, I don't work for these guys or get free juice from them or anything, but here is their website in English (which I guess means you can buy it outside of Sweden): http://www.bramhults.com/

I got a 1 liter juice bottle (strawberry and lime) and when I checked the bottom, it's the hard to find and supposedly least "bad" kind of plastic #2.

Weight is 48g, but very tough and rigid and fit very well in my Zpacks pack side pocket. I also like that it has kind of a grippy top with the ridges on the upper third of the bottle. For spring/fall, one of these plus my Sawyer filter bag is all I need. In the summer I would take one of these plus a 1 liter Platypus, though I would only drink out of the Brämhults bottle and use the Platy as storage/pillow.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I hear you Scott,

I love the wide mouth Pepsi product bottles (I use their Aquafina as seen in the review below.) They are getting harder to find though.

http://tinyurl.com/92g6q5l

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

uninvisibility bump

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools