Topic

Affordable 9oz trail trail runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Affordable 9oz trail trail runners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

Saw these at my local Target store….$29.00 Champion C9….
    Pretty comfortable….tread isnt the best but its thick….i figure for $30 bucks they will be just fine…oh 18oz a pair…
    If anyone is looking for some affordable trail runners…you may want to try these out…shoe1
    s2
    s3
    so far ive walked the dog…a lot…should have them on the trail soon…

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Nicholas,

I'm going to give them a try too.

I went with black tops and blue soles.

Target currently has an online offer that states if you buy one pair of these you can get a second pair at 50% off. So you could get two pair for $44.99. If you spend $50.00 or more online you get free shipping too. The trick is to find something that costs $5.01. ;-)

I searched Target's website and it doesn't seem like they offer a free shipping to store option. ;-?

I wore my favorite lightweight trail shoes into Target with my thin synthetic hiking socks to make sure I got the correct fit. I was a bit concerned because there is no size 11.5 like I wear normally. The 11 was too small and the 12 was perfect. So just off the cuff I'd have to say that I find that they run 1/2 size small.

The good news is that when I tried them on I loved the way they cupped my heel.

The bad news is that my local Target has a very limited supply of men's shoes in general. ;-(

More good news, maybe, if I decide that I really like them and they perform really well, I'll take advantage of the buy 1 get 1/2 off a second pair offer before it expires. I realize that this could add up to the normal cost of a single pair of the "big name brand" low hikers that I already own. But these Champions C9 Motivate shoes are just so light! :-)

My size 12 shoes weigh, on my scale, 9.85 ounces per shoe or 19.7 ounces per pair.

Thanks for the tip.

Party On,

Newton

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Can you compare the fit to anything else?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Eugene,

"Can you compare the fit to anything else"?

I did my first relatively long walk in them this morning. I took my full pack and did my training walk of 12.6 miles in about 3.75 hours.

Lately I've used low Merrell Moabs and Columbia Aztecs. I've got a high instep and flat feet plus I over-pronate unless I use orthotics which I do not use in my hiking shoes as I find that they slide around too much. ;-(

Here's what I can say about this morning's walk. The fit is comfortable. I developed a hot spot on the ball of my right foot but I had already blistered that spot using my Merrells last Saturday on the same route. ;-?

I find the toe box roomy which I like. They lack a gusseted tongue and finger loops on the tongue and rear of the shoe. Slipping them off and on "laced up" requires using your finger as a shoe horn.

Listed in order of comfort: Columbia Aztec (no longer available), Champion C9 Motivate and the Merrell Moab.

Listed in order of breath-ability: Aztec, Motivate and Moab. ;-?

Listed in order of ascending cost: Motivate, Aztec and Moab.

I am thinking of taking advantage of the buy one get one at 50% off deal that Target has on their website. ;-)

I hope this helped.

Party On,

Newton

Edited to reflect that:

The buy 1 get 1 at 50% off deal doesn't seem to be available any longer! ;-(

From what I see the spend $50.00 and get free shipping is still available though.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

I usually run with zero drop barefoot running shoes like Altra Adams, VFF, and my new favorite New Balance MT00 (4e width).
    Can anyone comment on the heel rise in these? The heel looks to be a little higher than the forefoot, probably 4mm or so.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

@Daniel,

I Googled an image of the NB MT00 and from what I can see you are correct. I can't verify the measurement but from what I see on my pair of C9 Motivates…

These aren't flats! ;-)

@Eugene

I'm taking them out next weekend on their first official hike on a real wilderness trail. There will be rocks, hills and water enough to get them well broken in. Stay tuned! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

If you get the Target Debit Card (which is free), you get 5% off all purchases and free shipping on the website. It normally takes our card about 3 days to clear the bank, which is about how long any credit card options take as well.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Nicholas,

I took mine out for a 24 hour hike in the Kisatchie Wilderness this past weekend.

They were light and comfortable and up to the task. I looked over the soles for wear and tear and they seem to have put up with the rocks in Louisiana's Little Grand Canyon fairly well

The lack of a gusseted tongue was a non issue and I am hoping that Target again offers the buy 1 get 1 50% off sale on these shoes. They are both light on my feet and on my wallet.

They are a good find.

Party on,

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Posting as a reply to my own post to update the info about hot spots and blisters.

As I said earlier in the post above I did fine on my 24 hour overnighter with these shoes.

That being said I also made reference to a hot spot on the ball of my right foot using these shoes in an earlier post.

I did a short training walk today of about 8 miles and blistered the ball of my right foot. The ball of my left foot developed a hot spot and the beginning of a small blister. ;-?

How can I hike on the trail and get no blisters and chew up my feet on a short training walk in town?

Am I unconciously planting my foot differently or pushing off harder with the toe of my shoe? The surface is a mixture of concrete, blacktop, grass & dirt with some gravel and loose rock midway through the walk. There was no real elevation change from start to finish. This is not the only pair of shoes that have done this to me.

Could it be a "lug" on the sole of the shoe causing a pressure point? Would I be better off with a less aggresive lug pattern on my hiking shoes?

Party On,

Newton

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

I don't typically necropost but I have a pair of these and have been wearing them for the past month around town. So far, no blisters. I'm planning on wearing on trip soon so I will provide my feedback and experience.

Newton – Assuming the blistering has healed, how have these shoes worked out for you since?

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I've been meaning to post about these for a long time- I bought two pair of them last June (on sale for $20) and have worn them around town, non-trail walking, day hiking and car camping. I've been pretty pleased, especially for what they cost. If there's going to be a lot of pavement, I grab them instead of my usual La Sportiva Wildcats so that I don't waste the sticky rubber on road.

Like a lot of shoes from Target and Walmart, they're quite a bit wider than the kind of shoes after which they're modeled. For me, that's a big win, but it might not be what everyone here needs.

Negatives:

1. Pebbles and sticks get stuck in the groves between the lugs quite a bit. Not a problem on all terrain and it's never meant anything more than stopping to pick it out.

2. They don't seem to be very durable. Only took two months and the upper started separating from the little bit of rubber at the toe. Not a huge deal, but just a heads up. Haven't worn them much during the winter, so I can't say whether or not the whole upper is going to blow out soon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools