Topic

UQ as down vest substitute in camp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping UQ as down vest substitute in camp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Recently acquired a 40" x 52" underquilt and it fits well as a down cape, as a substitute for a down vest.

Tie all four corners together in front and do something to clip it together under your chin. At my height, the 40" in back covers from butt to over my shoulders, and my arms folded in front put them under the overhang there. The way the bunched up fabric bows out, makes a place for my elbows to be covered. Sitting down in my hammock, typical cooking position for me, there is full torso coverage. A shorter length UQ might not fit as well.

I'm wary of cooking while wearing my top quilt so this is good news for me.

The bad news is the UQ still weighs more than a vest, but dual purpose helps there.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Why not? I assume you have seen the Jacks-r-Better quilt along that line: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/top-quilts01.jpg

As with ponchos, if you throw away the concept of fashion, it works.

Wary of cooking in the top quilt because of too much loose stuff and catching fire or ???

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Yes, I do own a JRB No Sniveler. If I lean over the stove while wearing something like that, I worry about melting a hole in the fabric.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools