Topic

Bushbuddy & Snow Peak 900 photos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Bushbuddy & Snow Peak 900 photos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chris Miller

@chrisdm

Hi all, I just got my new Bushbuddy, and a Snow Peak Trek 900Ti set to go with it. The two go very well together, so I thought I would share some photos with you. The Snowpeak kit is 5.6oz and the Bushbuddy is 5.1oz, for a total of 10.7 oz:

The included stuff sack is too tall, so I tied it off at the top.

Bushbuddy is inside...

Almost a perfect fit...

Ready to go...

And the pan/lid...

I hope you find this helpful. Peace,

Chris M
    http://www.imagineimagery.com

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Looks like a great setup. I'm sure you will have lots of fun with it. BTW what is the weight of the Snowpeak and Bushbuddy?

Chris Miller

@chrisdm

Thanks Steve, I just added the weight to the top post, which is 10.7 ounces for the whole setup.

Chris M.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Chris,
    Looks good. I put in an order for the Snow Peak 900 also. I am glad the combo works so well. I was hoping it would.
    Thanks for the pics!

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Chris, thanks for answering a question I've had for a while. Great shots.

By the way, the little pan/lid for the SP 900 weighs 1.9 oz. I leave that item at home and use a foil lid. You might like to try it out. A foil lid would bring the combined stove and pot under 9 oz.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Thanks for the photos Chris. Looks like a great fit. A question and an observation if you please.

The screen inside the Bushbuddy; do the ashes fall through this to the bottom? If so, how do you empty the ashes? Shake them through the screen?

I could see fashioning a reflectex cozy, then leaving the pictured ditty bag home. This might add an ounce or so but eating a leisurely hot meal might be worth it. Protects the gear too.

Finally, found a good price for the Snow Peak 900, $37.94 at:

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/2735/Snow-Peak-Trek-900-Titanium-Cook-Set.html

..though I have never heard of this company before

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

A Reflectix cozy is a great idea for boil and set cooking. My homemade cozy for the SP900 weighs 1.1 oz. With an alchohol stove it's an effective way to conserve fuel. That might not be such a big issue with wood stove.

Chris Miller

@chrisdm

Thanks Paul. I haven't had a chance to use the stove so I'm not sure about the grate. It doesn't say much about its purpose in the instructions either, but it seems it is a way to keep the fuel higher, and the kindling/firestarter below the fuel.

I haven't heard of refelctex eiher, but sounds like a good idea. Thanks,

Chris M

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Phil,

You're right, a cozy really shines for boil and cook. I still use one for fire cooking for the following reasons:

-allows boil and cook if you wish. For example, with the SP900 kit your rice can set up while the brook trout fry in the pan.
    -it's easier to hold your hot pot while eating out of it.
    -on cold days your last bite is still warm.
    -keeps the pot from some damage and keeps the pack noise down.
    -does what a ditty bag does, keeps the pot soot contained.

Multi-purose, the things are great. Anyway, not to intercept a thread. Looks like the BB and SP900 will be a standard pairing. The photos really bring it home. Thanks again Chris

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Do a search (on BPL or Google) for "Downdraft Wood Gassifier" for a description of why the grate is located where it is on this variety of wood stove.

Thanks for the photos (studio quality nonetheless) of the stove paired with the Snowpeak. I like Snowpeak titanium but I feel the combination of the frying pan is too much for a lightweight kit. Build a foil lid and remove those pesky handles (or wait 'til BMW releases their 1L pot) and you've got a good set up for less than the weight of many stoves and their respective fuel and bottles.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

"and remove those pesky handles" …. and replace them with wire bails, imho :)

So how to empty the ashes from a BB? ..or.."How many psychoanalysts does it take to change a Bushbuddy?"

Anonymous
    Inactive

Chris, Do you think you will be able to lite a fire to it? Those pictures show a kit that is just too ‘perty’ to use.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Oregon Mountain Community has the Snow Peak Ti 900 on sale for $37.94 versus $43.95 retail at this link:

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/2735/Snow-Peak-Trek-900-Titanium-Cook-Set.html

To get free shipping, have to order $50+. I reached the "free shipping" point by adding a nice Icebreaker Lite Balaclava made of merino wool, which was reportedly retail priced at $29.95, but which was on sale for $24.95 at the following link:

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/2868/Icebreaker-Lite-Balaclava-Unisex.html

Lot of sale prices on some good gear by Ibex, Patagonia, Cloudveil, etc.: http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/specials.php

JRS

Robert Taylor

@robtay

Hears another couple of photo's when mine was shiny and new. Hope you can see them ok ! done on mobile phone. I wouldn't say the bushbuddy fits perfectly inside, about 5mm difference and it can rattle slightly but it is a quiet rattle, one you cant hear in your backpack. Have to say i like the handles on the snowpeak, why remove a good sized that allow a squeeze like grip fold away titanium handle? I'm not so keen on the frying pan / lid but it works and the handle on that is good once you get use to folding it back again. It tends to be my drinking cup and chopping board, I like a bit of soot in my dinna, good for the digestion :)

All in all i really like this setup, i could happily leave the lid at home and take some foil like recommend but I always seem to use it. I do own a MSR titanium kettle which i prefer the spout and weight, but that won't get used now, certainly when using my bushbuddy. I prefer the handle, sizing, measuring gauge, and the fryin pan lid does add a bit of versatility and you dont need a knife to get it of.

removed the larger photo so hopefully see better.

about 5mm difference

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

It's fairly straight forward: When the fire is out one picks up the stove (by the cool bottom), inverts the stove and briskly shakes out the ashes. In this bad fire season, best to do this on mineral soil or rock to eliminate the chance of lingering coals igniting any flammable material.

Regarding the handles on your pot. The BB will cover your pot with soot and it will most likely build up around the handles and make the pot a mess to touch. You might want to consider using a Dremel tool to remove the handle fitting from the pot and install a titanium bicycle spoke bail. It's a lighter solution and much easier to wipe clean.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools