Topic

Sierra Trip October 11 – 14 or 15

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Sierra Trip October 11 – 14 or 15

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Issenberg

@ijeff

Locale: SF Bay Area/Sierras

I'm planning a trip out of Tuolomne Meadows in Yosemite and looking for a hiking partner. I'm looking to do 8-12 mi and around 2000' of elevation per day, maybe climb a peak on a class 3 route. I am flexible about the dates, location and other details but need to get up in the mountains in October and would like company. If there are no takers I'll be doing my first solo trip.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

Hey Jeff,

Are you located near SF? I would be down to go, I just would need to carpool with you. I'm located in the city.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I guess you know that overnight parking is prohibited along the Tioga Road beginning October 15. By that date, there is some chance of snow storm, and that would cause instant closing and gating of the entire road. Then with parking prohibited, the road is used by thru-traffic only until the storm hits and the road is actually closed.

October and November are really tricky for trying to plan anything in the high country.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

And along Glacier Point Road too

Jeff Issenberg

@ijeff

Hi Ken and Bob,
    Thanks for the info. Here's the scoop from Yosemite Conservancy Wilderness Permit Reservations:

Yosemite Wilderness permit reservations will not be accepted for the dates that you are requesting. Permits are however, still required year round. Permits for all trails in Yosemite, with the exception of trails going directly to the Half Dome area, will be available on a first-come first served basis, starting October 1st. Reservations for permits going directly to the Half Dome area will be accepted through Columbus Day. After Columbus Day, all trails in Yosemite, including those going to Half Dome, will be on a first-come first-served basis. Trails quotas may be enforced for all trails through the end of October. The Half Dome cables come down after Columbus Day.

For those of you that are trying to obtain a permit for the Tioga Road or Glacier Point Road, please be advised that there will be no overnight parking along the Tioga and Glacier Point Roads starting October 15. This prohibition applies to all parking lots, turn outs, pullouts, etc between the Crane Flat gate and Tioga Pass on the Tioga Road and past Chinquapin Pass on the Glacier Point Road.

Jeff Issenberg

@ijeff

sending PM to James

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Cool…thought it started on Oct. 1st. Have fun!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools