Topic

Cutting down the NeoAir Xtherm?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cutting down the NeoAir Xtherm?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Hey all, haven't been around much lately, it's been a real long year and I've been in the forge most of it. I'm going to post some pics of the work I've been doing and a shop tour soon, but right now I'm trying to revamp my winter gear list.

I'm thinking about cutting down a NeoAir XTherm large, and wondering if anybody here has done it yet? I didn't bother with a search since I don't have time to wade through all the threads I've missed.

Anyway, I know plenty of regular neoairs were succesfully shortened, wondering if there are caveats to doing an xtherm.

Cheers!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Seriously just sell it and buy a small. What if you dont like the drop off, many people have issues with this. How much weight are you really saving a few ounces tops? I think you could find other ways to save weight besides chopping a $220 pad in half.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

It's an issue of width Michael. The large is 25" wide but way too long.

The money is irrelevant, I'm an acrobatic side sleeper, and comfort is king.

I haven't even bought one in the first place, but since afaik Bender is permenantly MIA, and I'm not aware of anybody else making custom pads, this is the primary option. I'm expecting to save quite a few ounces frankly, and this isn't my first rodeo fwiw.

Thanks anyway though.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I had thought about doing the same thing a little while back, but never found anyone that had already done it so I was hesitant. The consensus was that everyone thinks it would be very similar to mod'ing a Neoair which it probably is. I decided to wait until someone else gave it a shot though. Best of luck if you do decide to try it.

Ryan

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Yeah I will end up doing it unless someone posts that there is some inhibiting factor. My only concern was whether they've switched to some ultrasonic/laser weld only fabric vs heat sealing.

Might be a few weeks before I get to it, but I'll post my findings.

Scott Simcox
    Spectator

@simco

Locale: Nashville

Please do!

I really wish they would make a 25×48 xlite, and I've thought about buying a large just to make my own.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I too am interested in the results. I'd love to have a 25" wide pad that was a bit shorter than the standard L length.

If you do this, please post the results!

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I shortened my original neoair and the baffles were almost like fabric so it was easy to heat seal them. I think the neoair xlite has aluminum on the baffles which I assume would make heat sealing more difficult. But I really have no idea haha.

If you decide to do this, please post the results. I would love to have a shorter but 25" wide pad!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Well I've got some rei dividend and a 20% off coupon, and absolutely zilch else to buy there, so I'll pick one up next week assuming they're in stock.

It's definitely getting cut.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Has anyone shortened an X-lite yet? I would love a short wide pad.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I was able to shorten an Xlite, however
    the material bubbles and it took a great deal more pressure to get a seal.
    The old neoair material made a much better seal.
    With the Xlite I left a 2 inch border and it seem to work.
    I cut out the inner material in a 2.5 inch strip to get it out of the way.
    I've used it now for several months without a problem.

It was difficult to work with and it not a sure thing.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Thanks Anthony.

mark wuethrich

@mwuethri

Anyone have any success cutting down the xtherm? Mine needs a haircut and was wondering if anyone else had success.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

anything?
    @Javan – did you end up doing it?

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

I did my All-Season Neoair. Straight forward, and fairly easy. I've no clue if the xtherm uses similar fabric though. Good luck to any who go through with it, just remember to take your time and practice with the piece being cut off first.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

Yeah – my concern is that te new materials have been reported to be thinner… And of course te tapered shape..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools