Topic

Trinity Alps Septemberfest 2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Trinity Alps Septemberfest 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Once again a wonderful trip with fellow BPL members. All survived.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Mt. Shasta
    Billy Be Damned Lake?
    Lake Anna
    Eric,Erik, Marty!
    Ken back to camp.
    Eric
    This is were the crew split into to 2 groups?

Parting shot at 6:30am— Another great GGG.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I drove down from Portland on Thursday night, spending that night at a state park near Grants Pass, OR. An early start got me to Redding for lunch at In-and-Out, then on to the trailhead.

We camped in Bowerman Meadow, another great spot picked by Ken. The meadow was about 4 miles from the TH and halfway up I was caught by Marty, a fellow Oregonian (although he had an easier commute from Ashland). I took a camera, but I didn't check the battery — totally dead and just dead weight. All these photos were taken with an iPhone, so some are a little blurry (especially in low light).

Camp photos:

My SoloMid (this was my first trip with this shelter):
    Cuben SoloMid

Marty and his DuoMid:
    Marty and DuoMid

Doug's cowboy camp set-up:
    Doug Cowboy Camp

Jim's Warbonnet hammock set-up:
    Jim Hammock Setup

Justin's flat tarp, pitched low:
    Justin tarp

Eric's Wild Oasis:
    Eric Wild Oasis

Ken's Hennessy Hammock set-up:
    Ken Hennessy Hammock

On Saturday, the group went for a day hike up the valley above Bowerman Meadow. Eric E. had scouted out the correct trail the day before. Rick and Marc left two hours before anyone else and had an epic day, climbing out of the valley "headwall" (like us) and continuing on to a Four Lakes Loop and not returning until after dark. The rest of us did a loop up the headwall, around the back to two high lakes and back either cross-country or down to an adjacent valley trail.

Looking back towards the valley with Bowerman Meadow below:
    Meadow above Bowerman

Up the valley:
    Canyon up from Meadow

Doug (seated) talks with Jacob and Sandra:
    Doug Jacob Sandra

Eric E. and Marty:
    Eric and Marty

We followed the chute in the center up. Lake Billy-Be-Damn lays behind the peak at center:
    Center Chute

Near/at the top of the chute. Shasta is in the distance:
    Top of chute

Lake Billy-Be-Damn, a few minutes hike from the top of the chute. We continued up the use trail up the opposite slope:
    BBD Lake

Looking down at Lake Anna:
    Lake Anna

To the right and up a short slope, we stopped, regrouped and ate with an amazing view of the valley below:
    Lunch spot above Lake Anna

From Wikipedia: "Geologically, the Trinity Alps consist of a mixture of igneous, granite and metamorphic peaks. In the eastern mountains are the Red Trinities, due to reddish ultramafic peridotite, in the central granitic batholith are the White Trinities, and in the western mountains are the Green Trinities due to more extensive forest cover." Here is granite framed by the red igneous peaks we were on:
    Red and White Trinity

Ken ponders, on the edge:
    Ken on edge

Jay and Marty looking at the view:
    Jay and Marty

From there, we made our way down to Lake Anna for water. Justin and his friend Kyle stayed at the lake to fish. We split up into three groups. Jim, Sandra, Jacob and Doug went down to the Long Canyon Trail. Marty and I traversed over to a small pass and then back down to the meadow where we had started. We caught up to Jay, Ken and Eric halfway down. Closing our loop, tired and back in the upper meadow (Ken, Jay, Marty and Eric):
    Back in meadow

Looking back at the peaks we circumnavigated:
    Back at peaks

Another night of good company at the camp, then a long drive back to Portland!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Another fantastic trip in the Trinities. It was great to see some new faces and connect with those I've met from last year's Trinity Alps trip and the GGG IV. Thanks again to Ken for planning such a wonderful trip!

A few photos for now. The rest to follow later in the week.

Bowerman_x01
    Bowerman Meadow just before our "group" campsite.

Bowerman_x02
    A view looking down on Billy Be Damn Lake and the saddle to Anna Lake.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Rick and I got to the trail head about 2:30 Thursday afternoon and decided to hike in to Bowerman Meadows rather than spend the night there. Friday we hiked up the meadow but turned to the left instead of the right and after some brush beating ended up too far east to make it up to the lakes. We hiked to a notch at the west side of the meadow which overlooked Red Mountain and the Trinity Alps Creek drainage. Got back to camp and met up with everyone. Had a nice campfire and talked about the next days hike. Rick and I decided that we would go up the notch on the east side of the meadow which we had seen on our hike and drop down to Long Canyon trail and head up to the Four Lake Loop. We set the alarm for 5:30 and got a good nights sleep. The next day we got up, had breakfast, got our packs together and went over to where everyone was camped. No one was ready to go so we headed out about 7:30. Made it up to the notch and around to Lake Anna then down to the Long Canyon Trail and from there up to Bee Tree Gap. I looked at the time there and thought it said 1:30 but it was really 11:30. After a little lunch we decided to go ahead and do the Loop figuring on getting back after dark. I'm glad we did because the Loop has a lot of nice scenery. We had thought earlier about going back cross country but decided against it because of the late hour. We ended up going down Long Canyon and back up to the meadow. It got dark just after we hit the trail junction so hiked in by headlamp getting to camp about 7:30 PM. Approximatey 5000' up and 5000' down.

adf

asdf

asdf
    Looking east from camp.

zxc

sf

sdfg

sdsd
    Looking across to the scramble to Lake Anna.

sdfg

asdf

sdf

sdfg
    Across the upper meadow looking east from the Lake Anna scramble.

sdfg
    Lake Anna.

sadsf
    Down Long Canyon from Bee Tree Gap.

sdfg
    Mt. Silago.

xhh
    Deer Lake.

sdfg

asdf
    Looking East above Deer Lake.

sdgfsdfg
    Summit Lake.

asdf
    Diamond Lake.

asdf
    Looking toward Sawtooth Mountain and down into the Stuart Drainage.

sfdg
    Luella Lake.

sdg
    Looking east toward the trail going to Granite Lake.

sdfg
    Looking across Deer Lake toward Deer Creek Pass.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ken, thanks for organizing a great trip.
    I'm in for next year.

Some photos:

Eric and Jay
    Eric and Jay

Eric ,Jay and Steve
    Eric, Jay and Steve

The Route
    The Route

Anna Lake
    Anna Lake

David K

@aviddk

Locale: SW Oregon

Did you see any sign of deer hunters or hunting camps on your journey? Thinking about a trip in the general vicinity of yours but concerned about it being deer season. That is if I understand how to read the California hunting regulations correctly. Thanks

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Ken, Thanks again for being the motive force behind yet another fab get together. Sandra and I had a good time.

So, we rolled into the trailhead about 6:15 Friday evening and were on the trail just before 6:30. By 7:30 we'd lost the light and nearly passed the junction to Bowerman Meadow. Not long after we hit the low soggy area where the trail was a bit overgrown. I hoped we hadn't picked up a different trail or missed another fork. A little after 8:00 we came into a large meadow and made out the head lamps of who we hoped were our friends on the opposite end. This was confirmed shortly by Ken's voice booming across the meadow "Jaaaacob!". We were last in and the group was kind enough to save us the honey moon suite.

I was up early enough to photograph the sunrise and found Mark and Rick on their way out of camp to scramble up to Anna lake, then the 4 lakes loop. The rest of us decided to do some x-country route to Billy Be Damned and Anna lakes and whatever else. After a slow start the gang filed out.

Events of the day consisted of wandering to the end of the valley, heading up a rock scramble to attain the ridge, making our way to a few lakes (not of the four lakes loop), scrambling down yet more rocks, and heading back down the long canyon trail (long way) back to camp. It was a good day, beautiful sights, good company, and a great workout. When the groups split ways I was with Sandra, Doug, and Jim, we eventually met up with Eric only because he doubled back at some point. I think we made it back to camp 6 ish. Marc and Rick returned triumphantly, followed lastly by Justin and Kyle.

Every splash of whiskey that evening reminded me I forgot my SPF chapstick.

Great trip.

(edit: figured out how to shrink my photos)

Me & Sandra D hit the trail Friday evening.
    2012-09_2729  web.jpg

Our first glimpse of the moon while hiking in.
    2012-09_2738  web.jpg

Sunrise over the meadow.
    2012-09_2761  pano  web.jpg

Cuben fiber bear bags… a mark of UL folk.
    2012-09_2781  web.jpg

09:30 The gang files out…
    2012-09_2792  web.jpg

Yep. We're headed up there.
    2012-09_2794  web.jpg

A look back from where we came.
    2012-09_2799  web.jpg

Doug and Marty head across the meadow at the end of the valley. Can you spot Jay on the rock scramble?
    2012-09_2821  pano  web.jpg

There's Jay!
    2012-09_2821  pano  web-2.jpg

Sandra, on the scramble contemplating the boys' "plan".
    2012-09_2835  comp  web.jpg

Looking up towards top of the scramble.
    2012-09_2840  web.jpg

First views of Mt. Shasta from the top.
    2012-09_2848  web.jpg

Doug and Ken head towards Billy Be Damned lake.
    2012-09_2853  web.jpg

Billy Be Damned Lake (we think).
    2012-09_2864  web.jpg

Sandra heads towards Lake Anna.
    2012-09_2865  web.jpg

The group stops for lunch.
    2012-09_2871  web.jpg

Doug, Jim, Steven, Jay, Marty, Ken, and Sandra's Toes.
    2012-09_2876  pano  web.jpg

Another view of Shasta.
    2012-09_2881  web.jpg

Beautiful Lake Anna.
    2012-09_2894  pano  web.jpg

Jim and Sandra making their way along Lake Anna.
    2012-09_2920  pano  web.jpg

Steven rock hopping.
    2012-09_2933  web.jpg

Doug and Sandra doing some route finding.
    2012-09_2939  web.jpg

Decision made. Gotta go up, to go down. Let's go!
    2012-09_2940  web.jpg

Rugged Beauty.
    2012-09_2942  web.jpg

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

double post.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

We saw no other signs of life in the meadow, people or deer.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Really great guys, thanks for sharing.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

A great time had by all, I'm sure! Sorry I missed it, but thanks all for the great photos!

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

The trip rocked…some were more stable than others;-> I'll post some pics once I get home and things are settled. It was great to meet you all.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing.I have got to get out west again.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Great trip report guys….looked like a lot of fun!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Kyle took a lot of pics, I will post a few when he sends them to me.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Ken–thank you for organizing, shepherding, and hosting this trip, and for watching out for late returning hikers!

It was fun to get to know some BPLers in a smallish group–smaller than the big GGG, where I get learn-new-name-overload. : )
    A very friendly, helpful, and knowledgable bunch of backpackers. Thanks especially to those who "lent" me fuel alcohol and food storage when needed!

The Trinity Alps were well worth the long drive. And the challenging vertical scramble we did on the day hike made it forever memorable.

See you at the next winter GGG!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

The majority of the group arrived around noon at Bowerman Meadow. We stumbled on Marc and his brothers campsite, easily identifiable due to the presence of cuben fiber, and looked around for what the guidebook called a large camping area. Luckily Ken found a lightly used trail which crossed the creek and to our campsite.

Ken returned to Marc's campsite to await those who didn't camp overnight at the trailhead.

A view of the smaller details. Here is a fern growing over the small creek near our campsite.

A small mushroom growing out of the end of a downed tree.

Everyone getting settled at camp.

My BearVault450 with food for the trip and cook setup consisting of a 2-cup Zelph Ridgeline pot for boiling water and a 1-cup pot for drinking my morning coffee.

Doug using his homemade cone with a 12oz Heineken can.

Saturday morning we all started the steep climb to the upper meadows.

The upper meadow was beautiful. There were plenty of flat areas and a few trees for the hangers here as well. We only passed through but I made a note so that I can come back some other time.

Looking back down the way we came.

A few shots of the upper meadow and our off-trail route to Billy Be Damn lake. We followed the rocky area in the center.

Looking back down about 3/4 of the way up the scramble. There were a few of us who weren't entirely comfortable with the climb but we all made it in one piece.

Billy Be Damn lake. Some of us stopped to fill up our water before continuing on to catch up with the others. We followed the north west bank of Billy Be Damn before following a faint trail up to the saddle toward Lake Anna.

Looking up the saddle between Billy Be Damn and Lake Anna.

Looking back down at Billy Be Damn. Justin, Kyle, and Jim on their way up.

Looking west toward Lake Anna. Ken, Jay, and I found a campsite on the eastern side of Lake Anna (the only one there) and turned south to find an off-trail route back town to the upper meadow.

The descent required light scrambling, but nothing as difficult as our way up to Billy Be Damn.

There was evidence that this route has been used before but it was quite faint.

Ken leading the charge down the gentle slope to the upper meadow.

We arrived back at camp much earlier than the rest of the group as they chose to take the Long Canyon Trail back down to the junction with trail to Bowerman Meadow. I took the opportunity to walk around and snap a few photos of the wildflowers and grasses in the meadow around camp.

The trip was wonderful and Ken did a fantastic job with all of the planning. It's a little sad to walk past the Wilderness Boundary, knowing that another trip is over. I can't wait for next years meetup!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Wilderness planking (before we caught on to you guys).a

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

Just beautiful….thought of you guys all weekend. Ended up straining my back….been off work 2 weeks. Hope to see you real soon. :)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

All of these pics were taken by Kyle.

Hike in.
    Photobucket

Ken in his hammock.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lake Anna
    Photobucket

Little Fishy
    Photobucket

Down, down, down. We must have taken a weird route, but it took us down to long canyon trail.
    Photobucket

Looking out of and over. I realized that the pine forest turns into rock and cliffs.
    Photobucket

Skirting over to the left to avoid the cliffs.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Down at a flat little area before descending further.
    Photobucket

What the hell did we get ourselves in to?
    Photobucket

Photobucket

On Long Canyon trail.
    Photobucket

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

That looks like a great trip with nice weather and even nicer people.
    Tom

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools