Topic

How the he$$%#% do you manage your lanyard kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How the he$$%#% do you manage your lanyard kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ive said several times that moderation is a good thing when it comes to emergency gear. We don't want to end up with "flav" in our trail name ;)

Imagine Flav after a trip to the REI gadget counter!
    Flavor Flav

Ryan Nakahara

@kife42

Locale: Hawaii

i think of a "lanyard kit" being just for redundancy or emergency. if you expect to really be using a knife, or compass, or flashlight, you'd be carrying full size versions of those things anyway. my kit is just a keychain light, utili-key knife, and firesteel. a pen housing holds some vasaline soaked cotton and keeps a thin firesteel from snapping in half. it's a multiple use firestarter that weighs .17 ounces.

a compass and whistle are good ideas too, but they would need to be reliable and small enough where i can carryrun with them all the time and not notice it's in my pocket.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm with Roger. Never carried a lanyard "kit" and never will.

When canoeing in Canadian wilderness (Quebec and Ontario) I had a survival kit on a small pouch on my belt, front right side, just in case of a capsize and separation from the party.

Actually, a la the military, a "blowout kit" for first aid might make a lot of sense to carry on you at all times. Include aome survival items too if you like.

But that lanyard thingy – just too gimmicky for this geezer.

Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools