Topic

Gear you use off the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear you use off the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    J Chandler

@sccrman13

Locale: VA

I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there that is using any of their backpacking gear past or present in a daily fashion.
    I have been considering using some gear at home just to see if it is worth it. I am a minimalist so this would also eliminate some clutter at the house.
    1. Using a big Packtowl in place of bath towel
    2. Titanium bowl/mug/plate/utensils instead of ceramic
    3. Using platypus water bottle at work (I drink a lot of water but really only like filtered or spring water)

I'm sure their are other examples. Please share what gear of yours has made it into your day to day life.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

This summer, I stayed in motels over 30 nights when I worked out of town, and when I did some zero days between backpacking trips in YNP and GNP. I used my Jetboil every morning to boil my water for the Via coffee. However, that stove never gets put into my backpack, so this likely doesn't count. I do use the same SP 450 insulated mug with its lid though, whether at home, in a motel, or when I backpack. It's my favorite all time gear item, and my one trail luxury piece.

J Chandler

@sccrman13

Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. Doesn't matter if you do or don't use it on the trail. I'm looking for stuff that was made for the great outdoors being used in the comforts of our normal lives. This could be because we like the piece of gear so much or maybe it just works better than the "normal" stuff.

Thats awesome about the mug, I have a SP 450 but its Single Wall Titanium so it cools down way to fast.
    I have been thinking about using Snow Peak tableware.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Items that I use on a regular basis, daily life, etc. that also double as backpacking items:

Pack. I have a simple rucksack made by Christopher Zimmer that is simple, functional, and really durable. This is my backpacking pack and my grab and go pack used daily, always beside me in the car, my mobile locker and general gear hauler for work, running and riding.

long handled titanium spoon. Lives inside my pack and gets used almost every morning with breakfast, post run or ride.

Petzl XP2 or BD Storm headlamp, whichever one I can find and has battery life- For the darker/shorter days I use my headlamp almost daily, whether that is for a morning trail run or evening, especially in Dec.-Feb.

Merino socks- I don't discriminate, the same Darn Tough or Defeet merino socks are on my feet year round, they get used for all occasions. I'm a trade worker who works in jeans and boots though, so it's not a stretch. If I were a suit and desk riding jockey I would probably still wear my same merino socks.

Patagonia Nano puff hoody- it's about ideal for the temps here in southern NM, it is in my vehicle most of the "winter", gets thrown on immediately after a run in the morning, or with me at work.

CCF sleeping pad (ridgerest or Gossamer gear nightlight)- I have one of these in my daily pack that goes out the door with me during the week, it gives my pack some structure and also gets thrown on the desert ground when I change clothes post workout. Everyone should have one in their vehicle.

Windshell. Always in my pack, gets thrown on whenever I need it.

Classic specialized mtn bike water bottle. I take one for backpacking trips mounted on strap, trail running, mtn biking, around work to stay hydrated.

Buff (merino)- I own two of them in wool and alternate through them during the colder months. They're great for everything.

Sunglasses. I wear the same pair of shades for all purposes. Either a Rayban wayfarer, or my Native shades.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Nice list Eugene, I don't think I can top that but:

– zpacks cuben wallet: What I put in there stays in there, .05 ounces… and pretty waterproof.
    – Wool socks: Varios brands, whether low cut or high cut, use these daily at school. I can not remember the last time I washed cotton. Also synthetic or wool boxers only now.
    – MT1010's: These are my trail running/ hiking shoes, but I've been wearing them a lot latley just because they are comfortable and I can use them to work out in.
    Ghost whisperer down jacket: This packs into its own pocket and is tiny, I usually can always find a spot for it in my backpack or in my car within reach!

J Chandler

@sccrman13

I bet that wallet is sweet Michael. I have looked at the tyvek ones before but heard they don't hold up well. I agree with the socks. My smart wool and Wigwam socks are coming out here soon.

Eugene thats quite a list. This is all inspiring me to take my ti mug and spork with me in my day to day pack. I'm still searching for a light down jacket for the milder temps here in VA.

Keep it going. This is awesome.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I use nearly all my backpacking gear for car camping. I use the merino wool socks for everyday wear. The woven polyester and nylon shirt I use for backpacking in bug season (a bit less easy than a baselayer top for the bugs to bite through) gets worn around house/town, too. My Sunday Afternoons Adventure hat gets worn for gardening/lawn mowing or whenever I'm outside. Three years ago I bought some Ex-Officio underwear for backpacking; I liked them so much I bought more and wear those everyday, too. I use my trekking poles (with rubber caps on the tips) for everyday exercise walking around the neighborhood; they turn walking into a whole-body exercise that exercises the core muscles. My headlamp gets used when I need light around the house; I never use flashlights any more.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

100% of the clothing gets using in daily life. iPhone, Camera(s). Platypus (used to be… just recently switch to a glass bottle around town). Larger pack towel (which typically only goes on trips where I am planning to go swimming) gets used after I shower at the gym. I would use my flashlight, but around town I use my daughters backpacking flashlight, and mine stays with my backpacking gear.

Most everything else doesn't *typically* get used in everyday life… it lives in a container that I can grab and go without haven't to think about or gather items. I often discover I am free to take a quick trip a couple of hours before I want to be on the trail. This is also part of my family's earthquake / disaster "go bag".

There are times that various items have been used. Sleeping mat / bag used when we have more guests than beds / couches. DOwn quilt as a bed comforter on particularly cold nights.

–Mark

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Our old bushwalking clothing (MYOG Taslan/Supplex) gets worn at home more than 50% of the time in summer.
    GSI plastic bowls for breakfast.
    Any power outages see the stove trotted out.

Cheers

Ron Berry

@squishware

Locale: Southwest Florida

I EDC my Zebralight and wear my Starter Tech shirts.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

In an effort to make less waste. I have been keeping a Snow Peak Ti Spork and bandana in my desk drawer at work. This way when I eat out or use the office facilities to dine "al desko" (TM), I do not make waste in the form of paper napkins or forks. My cups and mugs are reusable but not gear.

Ben Figula

@cbjfig

I keep a headlamp stashed in various locations in the house, the most used is next to the bed. I wake up at 5am some mornings and use the lamp to navigate around/get ready without turning on any lights to let the lady sleep. As others I also swear by my smartwool socks day in and out.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Like Eugene and others, I use my Darn Tough socks many times at work since I can get away with the civilian version of military cargo pants, sometimes with my trail hikers or light hikers. My winter boots are the same as my all-day snowshoe boots (Black/blue Lowe Renegade GTXs). Haven't thought about using my simple ruck as an all-around bag though.

My older usually heavier backpacking gear is now car-camping or emergency gear, stashed in stuff sacks with an older headlamp.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

All my backpacking clothes except shoes and liner socks get worn as everyday clothing. I use titanium sporks and long handled spoons to eat most of my meals, and carry a short spork in my around-town gear. My backpacking toiletries kit goes everywhere with me too. My lunch travels to work in a stuff sack. I also have a set of MSR stainless steel expedition pots that I use in the kitchen but don't take backpacking.

Should have added that the pot lifter is extremely useful for taking hot pans out of the oven also. You can pull out the oven rack with it and then grab the edge of the baking pan. Works much better than a cloth potholder.

J Chandler

@sccrman13

Very creative Rowan. I agree with the clothing. Most of it is far more comfortable/versatile than the hohum clothes or most peoples everyday.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Clothing, all of it depending upon the season.
    Towel
    Flashlight
    Pot
    Long handled spoon
    Knife
    Water bottle
    Stoves when there is no power
    Sleeping pad when it is cold or for guests
    Quilt when it is cold
    Etc.

I think the only things I don't use are my pack, water filter, dirty hydration badder, firesteel, and shelter. I am trying to install my hydration system in a hidden way so we can use it as the main way to purify water.

I really don't try to buy the gear unless I can think of a use for it at the house also. Just being more efficient/sustainable/financially sound.

J Chandler

@sccrman13

Brett what towel are you using?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

*Almost all my clothes, except the stuff that's too stained to be worn in public.

*Headlamp (zebralight h51w) and backup clip-on LEDs. Got rid of all my other flashlights except my D-cell Maglite that stays in the car.

*Sleeping bag, silk liner, travel pillow – currently my daily sleep system.

*Pocketknife and multi-tool

*Most travel toiletries are repackaged into hiking-size containers and are dual-purpose.

*Foam sitpad/sleeping pad

I do quite a lot of cooking, so a tiny titanium pot and skillet don't do it for me.

A lot of my possessions are non-hiking-usable, and whittling them down has become the larger job. As I have fewer options, I'm sure more hiking items will become multi-purpose.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

My big one is a Personal PackTowl because it does absorb all the water and has not stunk after almost two months of day after day use with washings every 10 days on average. I also have a much smaller Discovery Trekking one that is only made for Canada that is a lot smaller and lighter. It absorbs a good amount of the water but after a week it does tend to smell a bit but more on the musky side than straight out stench. It is made of a much better material than the US ones and can be used as a water filter and head wrap.

I also use my Evernew Ti 1.3L pot for just about all of my water boiling and cooking in my life.

I bought a Sea to Summit X-mug a while bag and use that as my cup because when I am bumming through populated areas I can stop off at a convenience store, using my p-51 dump a can of ravioli I just bought there into it and pop it into the microwave. Nice hot and warm meal for a buck and a half. That and I can boil some water, put part of it into my cup for tea and the rest for my meal. The x-mug only weighs about about 2.7oz. I have even drunk beer out of it when my main glass stein is dirty a sit holds close to a pint.

For water I use a Nalgene hdpe bottle because I never have to worry about it breaking, puncturing or otherwise going to heck.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

LED light, Leatherman Micra, Bic lighter & waterproof matches (non-smoker), hiking shoes & socks, bandanna, FAK, EDC daypack, cell phone (yes I hike with it), poncho (in the daypack) and a hat or cap (no hair);-)

I'm pretty much the always be prepared UL boy scout type. LOL

Party On,

Newton

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

My brother uses his jetboil to heat water for his baby formula whenever they are out and about. Works great and only takes about 20 seconds to get the water warm enough.

J Chandler

@sccrman13

I would love to see that happen in real life. I can just see the looks when he fires up the jetboil.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Yeah, I need to get a new pad. The ccf ones aren't cutting it that much anymore. But for me they have to be the short side to side tubes and not the long top to bottom ones. The problem is the Klymit which is the cheap one only has an R value of 1.3 which is air. The good Thermarest ones have a nice R value but are well over $100.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I wear these items around town and/or skiing.s

> Eddie Bauer down sweater (in my avatar)
    > 200 wt. & 300 wt. fleece vests
    > TNF nylon ball cap
    > GTX PacLite parka or eVent parka
    > various long sleeved poly & nylon shirts
    > poly T shirts
    > poly long johns (skiing & hunting)
    > Thor-Lo socks
    > .511 nylon canvas pants
    > various fleece glove liners & GTX shells
    > Merrill Mojave Ventilator shoes
    > Steripen for international travel, esp. in the Philippines
    > Gerber lockblade knives, sm. med. & "large" sizes

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Every day use and backpacking:
    1. I wear the same sandals to work as I do in the Tetons, Sawtooths, Timpenogas, etc.,
    2. I wear the same zip pants backpacking and to work. I have 6 pair. I bike to work. In the morning it’s cool. In the late afternoon it’s warmer for shorts. I don’t have to dress in a special room or bathroom at work.
    3. sunglasses
    4. swiss knife
    5. Fenix or zebralight flashlight. I also use this on my bike in flash mode.
    6. I keep a spare AA in my pocket. It’s usually rechargeable since I use it on my bike every day.
    7. neoair. When I’m at my relatives, my wife and I pull these out if they don’t have a bed.
    8. The same fingerfoods I have backpacking are also stored in the car. We eat while we travel a lot; pop tarts, beef jerky, M&Ms, power bar, etc.,
    9. Thermawrap jacket on cold trips or on my bike.
    10. Wind jacket on 45F trips or on my bike.
    11. WM booties. I wear these with my sandals on cold mornings or if I’m doing cold biking.
    12. gloves
    13. pen.
    14. Terramur long underwear. I use it everyday in the winter here and as pajamas backpacking.
    15. AM/FM radio (for biking and backpacking)

Yes it is nice when the same backpacking items can be used for every day.

-Barry
    -The mountains were made for Tevas

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools