Topic

Wallet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wallet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

OK, I know packing a wallet seems like an unnecessary extravagance, but on the AT, keeping ID, credit cards, insurance cards and cash organized is a big help. I'm hitting the trail next Tuesday, so I made a couple of 1/2 ounce wallets (experience is, they wear out before I can finish. I used these in 03 and 04). They are 4×6 ziploc bags from the Container store, cut off to 3.5 inches. Four of these are set like shingles on a single strip of duct tape with 3/8" duct tape strips over the cut edges. The tape is trimmed 1/4 inch beyond the edges. The zippers usually fail before anything else does. They are reasonably waterproof, and work better than those vinyl things they sell in backpacker stores — which won't hold US currency comfortably and have only 2 pockets. I've tried BPL's zipper bags, but the zippers on those fail just as quickly in my experience.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Why not try the Watchful Eye Designs Aloksak. At 5"x 4" it's about the sixe you're looking for.
    Not sure about the weight on them though.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Vick:

Do you keep your wallet on your person? Maybe that's why it wears out quickly. What about putting your wallet in the top pocket of your backpack or something similar? (Sorry if that's what you are already doing.)

Finally, my experience with Aloksak is that the seals can wear out after a few uses — so not much better than regular zip loc bags…

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

In my experience the single track zips on Aloksaks burst open when bent (for example, putting your wallet in one, then putting your wallet in your pocket). I discovered this the hard way and soaked my wallet with a properly sealed Aloksak.

Those single track zips were revolutionary long ago, but they have not updated their zip design, and dual track dual color Ziplock seals (especially the freezer bags) are far superior now- more flexible, durable, burst resistant, cheaper, etc. etc.

Just my experience.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I use a fishing license holder from Walmart…fishing section.

Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

I made a "wallet" from a piece of plastic sheeting (thin stuff) folder over and taped with clear packing tape. It never fell apart since the plastic is fairly indestructable, and probably only 0.1oz heavier. It's the size of a credit card, and can hold 5-6 plus cash well.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Aaron,
    Aloksack – that's what I was trying to remember. I tried that. They wear out too fast.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Ben,
    What wears a ziploc wallet out is unzipping it. The pull on the plastic eventually causes separation- unless careless stuffing causes the side seams to separate. Although the Aloksacks have also failed along the side seams, they also usually fail at the zipper. I have had them fail as quickly as ZL regular freezer bags. I keep my wallet in the sanctum sanctorum unless I am on a resupply run into town, so it does not get daily wear.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Andy,
    Yours sounds like the best long-term design – no zippers to worry about. I try to keep stuff really dry, so have to put replacements in my map drops now and then. But a simple arrangement as you describe would fit in a ZL and be lighter and more durable to boot. Hmmm….

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

check out http://www.all-ett.com

I agree Brett, the newer Ziploc freezer bags are more everything! Now they have the 'expandable bottom' bags in quart sizes too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools