Topic

EDC Knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) EDC Knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Benchmade Mini Griptilian in baby blue!

I had a Kershaw Leek (in the same color) that I loved and that was cheaper and lighter, but the pocket clip must have failed at some point because I lost it. Griptilian is solid.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I use a Victorinox Rambler which is basically a fat "Classic" which has added a small philips head screwdriver which is seem to frequently use. The blade (just like the classic) is rather minimalistic, but it's enough for most of my needs. I typically have a Benchmade Ritter MK1 near by if I need a substantial blade.

–Mark

Jim L
    BPL Member

@bmafg

If I'm in slacks it's my Wm Henry otherwise one of a dozen depending on what I'm wearing and what I expect to need to do.

Jim

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

friction folder. he makes about a dozen of these a year and they sell out in about 5 minutes at the atlanta blade show in June.

BGOODE1

BGOODE2

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/812863-First-Friction-Folder-WIP

http://www.bgoodeknives.com/gallery.htm

Gia Le

@giale123

Depending on what environment you in, you should consider a knife with a blade that is rust resistant, like the benchmade 551h2o or spyderco pacific salt. You cannot go wrong with either of these. They are both built to high standards, and retain a good edge even when sitting in water.
    If your hands sweat and such, and you don't want to deal with rust on your blades, invest in one of these and it will be worth it. I have had a spyderco pacific salt for 4 years, no problem. I just got my benchmade 551h2o and it is superb.

Make sure you get a knife that you can use for EVERYday carrying. Most won't last you 3 months.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found a Benchmade Mini Pika original model in a thrift store for $4.50. It had a nick in the blade and sent it to Benchmade for repair and they did a great job.

The knife has a 2.9" 440 stainless steel patially serrated blade, lockback design, linerless handle, and a deep carry, point down, ambidextrous pocket clip. The blade can be opened (slowly) with one hand using the oval hole in the blade. It weighs 2.0oz on my scale.

It works well for me for EDC and general cutting chores. I typically carry a larger knife with a stronger design for hiking, but I wouldn't be adverse for carrying this knife on the trail. The design is much like many Spyderco models or the Gerber LST models where the handle has no metal liners, reducing the weight, strength and cost.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/10410

I also like to carry a small multi tool like a Letherman Style or Victorinox Classic. I've been carrying the Style lately. I do miss the toothpick on the Classic.

My criteria for an EDC knife:

Left hand capable

Pocket clip

Light weight

Slim design

Inexpensive—- EDC knives are more prone to loss and abuse

Easy to sharpen and clean

Locking blade

One handed opening

Under 3.5" for legal local carry

Good ergonomics

Public friendly

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

My grandfather told me that every man should always have 1.A knife 2.a hankerchief and 3.a dollar in change on him at all times.

I can't stand change in my pocket, but I do always have a hanky and my W.R.Case Sod Buster Jr. in tow. Come to find out, my grandfather actually carried the same knife on him while working at the Charleston Naval Shipyard as well as Oscar Mayer. Neat coincidence.

Ron Berry

@squishware

Locale: Southwest Florida

I just sold my ZDP-189 Full Flat Ground Endura 4 and bought a Tom Krein Reground Stainless steel handle Endura with VG-10. I like the VG-10 because it's very easy to keep sharp. Three passes on each side on my compound loaded strop, less than a minute. I didn't touch the ZDP-189 one for 6 months and it stayed reasonably sharp.ss endura

Ron Berry

@squishware

Locale: Southwest Florida

The weirdness on the handle is the plastic protecting the stainless before I removed it.

John Tunnicliffe

@benwaller

Locale: Northern California

I find the Kershaw Skyline adequate for EDC. Sandvik 14C28N stainless, 2.3 ounces, G-10 handles, single side frame, American made. I used to carry a Wave when I was mainly doing physical jobs but after a few years I got tired of it pulling my pants down to my knees and besides I didn't really need it that often. It stays in the BOB in the truck.

I recommend that Skyline regularly when asked as I have not found a more practical blade for EDC or for general on-trail use. It's not a bushcraft blade, for that I favor the Kabar Mark 1 Navy. Heavy as that is I always carry it off-trail and I always find it more useful than heavy.

rexx john

@psychbeat

Locale: SF CA

some of the smaller opinels are fairly light and VERY affordable.

Jack Richland

@blackscoutsurvival

I've carried the Emerson CQC-7B for 10+ years and by far my favorite tactical folder/EDC knife I've owned. It has a longer handle than most tactical folders and I have large hands so it gives me positive control.

As of late I've been carrying the Benchmade Griptilian, I truly only bought the knife because of the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on the blade. But I've come to like the knife for the price.Benchmade

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Swiss army knife – the little tiny one – on my keychain. One of the freebie giveaways that companies often hand out. Great scissors on it.

Kershaw Random Leek – in my pocket. An amazing one handed knife that I use constantly for cutting apples, or opening packages, etc. I really love it. GREAT blade.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Gerber EAB 2.13oz, never sharpen….EAB

Steve Jenkins

@killjoy

Leatherman Wave. All day. Every Day.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wave

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I like knives that are strong and sturdy. I also like knives that are made from quality materials and exhibit tight manufacturing/design tolerances. Fixed blades are great, but folders are more likely to be carried, at least in the city. These are the knives that I often carry [not all at once!]: ZT 0550, ZT 0300, ZT 0350, Spyderco Paramilitary II, Spyderco Military. The ZT 0560 is also a great knife for the money. The above knives are all very tough and well designed. The Spyderco models listed above aren't quite as strong as the ZT models listed, but they're much lighter and cut better [thinner blade and full flat grind]. All the knives listed above use CPM S30V steel except for the ZT 0550 which sports a CPM S35VN blade and the Paramilitary II has a CPM S90V blade. If money was no object, a Hinderer XM18 would also be added to the quiver. I also wouldn't hesitate to purchase a knife from Benchmade, Emerson, Chris Reeve, Strider, Al Marr etc.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Mike sez: "The ZT 0560 is also a great knife for the money. "

The ZT 560/561 are very nice knives indeed, and surprizingly light for what they are.

Brandon Vidrine

@bvidrine82

Personally, I have carried the Benchmade Griptillian, Mini Griptillian, Activator, and Barrage; I have also carried William Henry (have a couple of them), Gerber, ZT, Kershaw, Baledeo, and a couple of custom folders. I have found that the Chris Reeve Sebenza has been consistently the best in terms of edge retention, "blade play" or lack there of, ease to clean and disassemble, and over all ruggedness. The price paid for a Sebenza is easily worth it.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

I carry the SOG-TAC automatic…. Not exactly California legal but I'm a cop so it does many jobs… and goes everywhere with me.

Regards!SOG-AUTOMATIC

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Regarding the Sebenza – I definitely agree. I still have a Mini Griptilian that I use on the weekends around the house/yard – partly because I'm willing to beat it up a bit and the grip is nice when wearing work gloves. But I've gone from, well, too many to 4 knives mostly because for most day to day use the Sebenza is always in my pocket. I sometimes carry a SAK Alox Cadet – because it is super thin and sometimes I want to have the tools available but don't want to carry another tool. And a very thin and light Spyderco Michael Walker – which disappears more easily into, say, suit trousers than the Sebenza. As for serviceability – the other day lint had taken it's toll and I disassembled it – cleaned it out easily – relubed and put it all back together as tight as the day I got it in about 15 minutes… In the past a quick rinse has done all I need to do to make it as smooth as silk.

I've owned and carried a lot of other knives but have never regretted saving up for (and selling off for) the Sebenza. They really are that good…

Brandon Vidrine

@bvidrine82

Agreed!

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools