Topic

EDC Knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) EDC Knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Brandon Vidrine

@bvidrine82

Just out of curiosity, what knife do you currently EDC and why? For all you gram weenies (myself included) I'm not talking about what you throw in the pack for thru hikes, and I'm not concerned about weight (for the purposes of this thread only), but I'm looking for the knife you grab before heading out to work or routine daily use around the house.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I carry a Bradley Alias II folding frame-lock knife with titanium frame and 2.95" S30V blade.
    Weighs 3 ounces.
    Awesome EDC knife.

James Tisdale
    Spectator

@jameyt

Locale: PaNW

Leatherman Micra.

I use the scissors about 20x more than I actually use the blade.

Eric Moe

@ericmoe

Locale: Washington

Varies a lot based on season and what pants/shorts/mood I'm wearing.

This week it is a Kershaw Blur.
    Others I EDC are a Kershaw Leek, Dajo Ascent, Gerber EZ-Out, Spyderco Street Beat and a few others.
    New go-to for backpacking is Mora/LMF fireknife.

Roy Staggs

@onepaddlejunkie

Locale: SEC

Leatherman S4, or at least I think that's what I says on the side. It's been on my key ring so long it looks like it's been sandblasted. Bought a Benchmade 585 Mini- Barrage the other day. I think I am really going to like the knife, but the only knife I know for sure I'll have on me is the Leatherman.

Chris
    BPL Member

@staplebox

Locale: New England

Most days a Leatherman Squirt PS4 to hide in front pocket in casual business dress. It has everything I need during the day. Also what I take camping.
    Sometimes a small Crane two blade folder. Much smaller.
    Weekends is a Kershaw Leek composite. More utility for cutting but not as versatile as the Leatherman.

I have to have some knife on me at all times, for utility not self defense.

Edit to add info.

Dan U

@danno141

Locale: North Central Texas

I carry a Benchmade 530 both for backpacking and walking around.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/530

Brandon Vidrine

@bvidrine82

Have you seen the CRK Sebenza? How long have you used the Bradley?

Andrew Weldon
    BPL Member

@hypnolobster

Usually a Ken Onion/Kershaw Leek. I carried a Benchmade Mini Barrage for quite a while and loved that, too.

I have a little leatherman PS4 mini multitool on my keychain as well.

Dan U

@danno141

Locale: North Central Texas

The Alias II looks like a titanium version of the Benchmade 530. Benchmade even helped design it. One thing, I don't see a description of the locking mechanism anywhere.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

For years. 2.6 oz., less than 2 oz. without stainless clip. Great knife and not the least bit puny.

Gerber Air Ranger

Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Spyderco Delica – small, solid and satisfying grip, good jimping, many colors to choose from, awesome blade, 1-hand opening (can even wrist-flick it with practice), and respected by martial artists on top of that.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Ken Onion Eros 2. 20 grams, 2" needle sharp blade with titanium frame. Spliced to my car key with a bit of Dyneema cord, so pretty much with me all the time. Only good for light cutting though (letters, packaging and such)

Recent acquisition: Benchmade 707 Sequel. 2.95" blade, Axis lock. Aluminum scales. 68g. Thinner than my previously carried Mini-griptillian 556 and lighter than the Mini-barrage 585. First impression is that this should be a good all around EDC.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I carry an ESEE Izula- same knife I use hiking. Hiking I carry it in a kydex sheath (neck carry), not hiking I carry in a pocket sheath w/ a LD01 light

Photobucket

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

Yes, I spent a good amount of time comparing the Chris Reeve Sebenza to the Bradley Alias.
    In the end, I felt that the Bradley Alias was the better knife for me. The shape fits my hand better.
    I've had the Bradley for about a year and a half now. I love it.

While I think CRK makes very fine knives, and the Sebenza is considered a classic, it's not my cup of tea.

Regarding the comment about the Bradley being like the Benchmade, the Bradley Alias IS made by Benchmade under contract, and is at a level between the Benchmade Blue Class and the Gold Class, so it is made to a very high standard. Benchmade handles any warrantee claims for life with this knife.

And for the question about the locking mechanism, the Bradley Alias is a titanium frame-lock.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Opinel Garden Knife.
    It probably won't pierce Kevlar, thwart attackers, or cut me out of a burning fuselage…

…but it does a heck of job opening boxes and slicing avocados for lunch without scaring people by getting all paramilitary looking.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Well, I would create quite a stir in my workplace were I to have a knife, but that Opinel is sure a nice, practical piece. Not much "tactical" vibe, but one heck of a nice piece of steel.

My #8 carbon has been with me on every backpack trip since 1980.

Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

Victorinox Pioneer: my everyday carry for the past year or so. Everything I need and nearly nothing I don't.
    – Blade
    – Awl: for making holes in various things and cutting zip-ties
    – Flat Head Screwdriver
    – Phillips Screwdriver
    – Can Opener: a bit useless but comes in handy every once in a while
    – Bottle Opener

I also use an Opinel No.6 when dressing up and for special occasions and an original Leatherman when doing heavy work. If your looking for a blade only knife I would recommend the Kershaw Leek, cheap and sleek.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I carry a couple different knives, always have one with me, but mostly I carry a CRK small Sebenza. N the weekends knocking around doing chores I mostly carry a bench made mini griptilian.

I sometimes carry a spyderco Michael walker carbon fiber. It is thin and light.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Lately I have been carrying my Spyderco Tenacious. It is a good, handy knife and is inexpensive so if I lose it I won't mind so much, but for my daily use, it works great.

I also have my Benchmade Griptilian that I sometimes carry. The steel is better in the Griptilian than in the Tenacious, but it would hurt my feelings more if I were to lose the Griptilian…

I would like to upgrade my Tenacious to a Paramilitary 2 with the S30V steel…however, it too will be a more expensive knife…

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

EDC for me (@ home, @work and in the car mostly) is the Gerber LST @ 1.3 oz. Sometimes I add a Leatherman S2 or PS4 multitool.

Mike

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

In the past, I've carried a CRKT PECK, Kershaw Two-Can, SOG Flash I, Boker Credit Card, Leatherman Style, Leatherman Style PS, and Spyderco Squeak.

The 1.0 oz. PECK was nice, one-hand opener, like having a heavy-duty razorblade in my pocket. Nice and sturdy frame-lock, but a bit heavy for what it is.

The 0.6 oz. Two-Can is a sleeper. Clever scissors and knife with only two blades, it always catches my eye before every backpacking trip because of its weight. Terrible carabiner design though, and I prefer knives that open with one hand.

The 1.2 oz. SOG Flash I is super-nice in the pocket. Good steel, nice handle, small package, assisted opener (thus "flash").

The 1.2 oz. Boker Credit Card is an interesting frame lock about the size of the credit card. It is a bit harsh in the hand for heavy cutting, but is wonderfully slim on the pocket (even with the pocket clip).

The 0.8 oz. Style is my daily EDC multi-tool. Sadly, this now has replaced my Style PS (see below).

The 1.6 oz. Style PS is a wonderful compact multi-tool positioned for airline carry since it has no blades. I found the pliers (same as Squirt P4) quite useful, and the scissors could be opened with one hand (somewhat easily). Unfortunately, the scissors broke three times while in my pocket, and although Leatherman replaced them twice, I'm afraid it'll just happen again.

The 1.2 Spyderco Squeak is the EDC knife I carry when not using the Style. It has a clever non-locking blade that can't collapse because your finger blocks (in a safe way) the blade. Wonderful steel (Italian!) and solid handle for a small knife.

I have carried by accident an Opinel No. 7 and a Kuhn Rikon Paring knife in my backpack, along with a Leatherman P4, in addition to my EDC!

The PECK, Flash I, and Boker, can no longer be "legally" carried here in NYC because they have locking blades, but then it depends what you're doing when frisked. I still carry them now-and-then, but shhhhh, don't tell anyone!

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Normally I slip a Benchmite into the coin pocket of my jeans. (Got it as a free promo, and at a 1/4" thin I haven't felt reason to look for something slimmer.)

My Kulgera is a bit large to fit in most fitted clothes but it gets to come out for general sporting and recreation. I also have a Style PS often in the vicinity (usually in a bag or jacket).

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Benchmade 940 Osborne

"The Knife"

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Gerber LST

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools