Topic

<b>Canyons and Ice</b>

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique <b>Canyons and Ice</b>

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Want to know who started pushing the envelope in the early 1950's?
    Want to know why there are so many hard-core Alaska trekkers?
    Want to know how pack-rafting got its start?
    Want to read amazing stories of long hikes, often solo, with minimal gear, through uncharted country?

At the age of 70, on a 240 mile 25 day solo trip in the Arctic, Dick Griffith wrote

"I find my physical strength has not diminished very much with old age. I am concerned if I can always handle the mental part of the Arctic…Sometimes I am nonchalant about an incident that should require focus. Maybe that's good and maybe not so good. I vacillate from extreme caution to carelessness. If I were cautious I would not be out here but home with my peer group having heart attacks and prostate operations."

Canyons and Ice, by Kaylene Johnson, chronicling the trips of Dick Griffith, is a darn good read.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Thanks Greg. Looks like a must read. I remember Roman Dial mentioning Dick's early packrafting efforts in the AMWC. It'll be nice to learn more about this pioneer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools