Topic

Shangri-la 5 vs Supermid vs. Oware 10×10 vs. Megalight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shangri-la 5 vs Supermid vs. Oware 10×10 vs. Megalight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bradford Rogers
    BPL Member

@beroger0

I am looking for a pyramid tarp and trying to decide between the Golite Shangri-la 5, the Oware 10×10,the MLD Supermid, and the Black Diamond Megalight. I plan to use this with my wife sleeping on one side of the center pole (we plan on using trekking poles strapped together) or for us and our two kids. I will use it in the winter as a fly only, and will add a bug tent when needed. I will probably get a full inner for the four of us, and get a half pyramid inner for just the two of us. I am 6'1" and my wife is 5'7" and we use 2.8" thick pads.

Golite Shangri-la 5

Pros
    Cost
    Color (Bambo)
    Comes with a full inner (a bit heavy, but it would work for our needs with 4 people)
    More Waterproof?
    No seamsealing/taped seams
    Door location (not sure if that is a pro or a con)

Cons
    Weaker fabric?
    Made in China

Oware 10×10

Pros
    Cost
    Size (bigger)
    Made in USA

Cons
    Color
    Seam sealing

Supermid

Pros
    Made in USA
    Color
    Quality?
    Weight?

Cons
    Size (smaller)
    Seam sealing

Megalight

Pros

Cons
    Color
    Made in China
    Weight?
    Seam sealing

Thoughts?

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

Locale: SoCal

I have the Golite and it works well. It takes two more stakes than it comes with to pitch the vestibule. The weight includes the pole, so it is lighter than advertised when using trekking poles. I use trekking poles strapped together and this works well.

I purchased due to the pros you mention: Good weather protection with taped seams, includes full inner and very competitive pricing.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

Don't forget the LocusGear Khafra.
    It has the same size like the Supermid and the quality is superb.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

John, can you give us a weight on just the outer of the Shangri-La 5?

Bradford Rogers
    BPL Member

@beroger0

The weight on just the fly is supposed to be 29oz.

And thanks for the info on the Megalight. I didn't realize that the weight included a pole.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I believe the Megalight comes with a carbon pole, factor that into the price.

I would not be to worried about the seamsealing, there are not that many seams on those mids any way and it's really only the horizontal one you need to worry about.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools