Topic

Qs: 3M 94 primer for cuben and soldering iron as hot knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Qs: 3M 94 primer for cuben and soldering iron as hot knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

(1)At Amazon.com, the primer is available in .2 oz. ampules, a 3 oz. bottle with a spreader cap, and half pints, quarts, etc. I'm attracted to the spreader bottle. What size did you buy and how did the quantity work for you?

My intended use is for repair and modifying currently owned gear. Adding doors to a tarp is my largest intended project.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3M++94+primer

I haven't cross checked each price at Uline, I will when I decide on the container size.

(2) What size/wattage of soldering iron do you use to cut your cuben fabric?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I use a cheap 30W soldering iron with an Xacto tip from Harbor Freight Tools to cut cuben, but I've been meaning to replace it with one that has a higher wattage. 30 watts is really not adequate. It cuts very slowly, and more than one pass is sometimes required for thicker cuben.

I don't have any experience with 3M primer 94.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools