Topic

Heineken stove hazards?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heineken stove hazards?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

I was looking over the Zen stove site yesterday and there was a disclaimer that stated when using the Heineken Keg can for a cook pot the transparent coating inside the can may pose some health risks. Anybody know anything about this? I don't want to sick just to save a few ounces.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

My belief is that if you only boil water, and never heat it while dry, you should not have any problems. If you were to melt the coating into something you were going to consume, I could see that posing an issue.

Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

Hiking and playing with fire both have some risks too. Since it's a beverage can it can't be anything too toxic, but if it is lined with something, you may want to take steel wool and get that lining out. You'll eventually consume it otherwise.

Scott, I believe that even if the can has water in it, the part above the water gets hotter since the heat cannot be transferred to the water. I'd worry more about a lining peeling off there than in the water if this is the case.

david fausnight

@rckjnky

I think when filled with liquid the coating will only become about as warm as the boiling point of the liquid. I doubt that melting would occur, however the idea of the plastic leaching into the food I am eating is a bit scary. I would be more concerned about using one for months at a time then a few weekends here and there.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

I have used a single Fosters can (would assume the same lining technology) and have not seen any change in the inside of the can. I only heat water in it. The instructions that came with my beer can stove kit warn against cooking things that are too dry…or with oil, which I am assuming would boost the temp.

I agree that infrequent use is just not a huge health risk.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Has anyone tried to remove the lining with steel wool? How difficult of a prospect is it? I don't want to start something that I might not be able to finish or ruin the can.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

You could remove the coating with a LOT of scrubbing with steel wool. Personally, I think there's more of a health risk driving under power lines than this.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I've tried to find research about this to no avail. I have seen where the cans were not designed to be used as cooking utensils, but no study that proves there is toxicity from the internal coating.

I did see where there is concern about the exterior of the can when used in those vertical chicken rack set ups.

Maybe this subject would be a good BLP Research Report to shed light on can use.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

If you re-use aluminum cans at temeratures the FDA did not approve them for, you might want to contact the Aluminum Association 'Health and Safety Advisory Committee'; link on the left of the url page.
    Here is where they mention the 'special coating sprayed on the inside of the cans..'
    http://www.aluminum.org/Template.cfm?Section=Can&NavMenuID=289

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools