Topic

Layering a medium weight down hoody under a synthetic hoody for Camp Wear in Winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Layering a medium weight down hoody under a synthetic hoody for Camp Wear in Winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

I have just signed up to the ADK Mountaineering clubs week long winter school and the instuctor I was talking to advised packing a medium down hoody (I think he said Rab Infinity) under a 100gm2 primaoft hoody and to layer the down hoody under the synthetic layer for protection, I have seen a few refernces to this online in the past.

I can see the utility of the two but it would add a bit weight.

Anyone do the same? and if so what combos?

Cheers,

Stephen

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Stephen,

Eric has been a strong proponent of that type of clothing layering system. I recall reading many of his posts on this topic. Just one example is http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54121&startat=100

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks very much Richard,

That's the thread I recall reading it on and that Eric was a big supporter of it.

Cheers,

Stephen

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

bigger than my 2 or 3 oz/yd primaloft tops to layer over, not under. make sure whichever way you go that whatever your outer layer is going to be, it's cut sufficiently that it doesn't prevent your inner layer from lofting properly. i prefer to wear a 2 oz/yd primaloft top as my cold weather active layer over my base, something like a hooded arcteryx atom lt/hooded wild things insulite top and when stopped or in camp throw a down layer over that. in the end, a lot of this is personal preference.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

My winter approach in Michigan involves layering of my three season gear. While probably not as light as a designated down parka of similar warmth, I find it more versatile as I can choose to remove layers when sleeping if too warm, can use the synthetic only when doing tasks involving mild exertion like camp chores, etc. I also like being able to extend the use of already owned items.

My layers are:
    Merino wool baselayer
    R1
    Windshirt
    Pata nano puff
    Down sweater (either pata or skaha)

I have used the pata down sweater in this way down to -11 F, and the skaha (with overfill) down to -20 F.

While it makes more sense to layer the synthetic over the down, my down layers are roomier and puffier than the synthetic, so I put the down on top. Because the down only comes out at rest, I have not had a problem with moisture management.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers for the replies guys, I was out in the Rockies and did not spot the thread when I came back.

The layering approach does make a lot of sense.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would want the wicking stuff closest to my skin and the down outside, where it isn't compressed and the down layer has two layers of fabric for wind-blocking.

My strategy is:

Polyester LS wicking base layer
    Power Stretch or R1 style midlayer hoodie (variable layer)
    Windshirt or rain shell

-or-
    Synthetic puffy vest
    Windshirt or rain shell

-or-
    Synthetic puffy hoodie
    Rain shell if there is precip, colder yet, or cold wind.

By saying "variable layer," the fleecy midlayer can be worn or stowed as conditions merit. The wicking base layer could be varied in weight as conditions merit. In all cases, the puffy insulation layer is one of the outer layers to avoid compression and assuming it will be varied with the level of exertion. You always want good moisture transfer and avoiding saturation of the puffy layer with sweat, which is what would happen wearing it while hiking uphill with a winter load, snowshoeing, or x-country skiing. I would be hauling it out for an extended rest stop or camp as my body stabilized.

For much the same reasons I like midlayer and outer shells with full front zippers. You can ventilate and cool as needed while keeping your neck, shoulders, and upper arms from turning into cramped ice blocks. My pack keeps my back warm regardless of what I'm wearing and would make a sweaty compressed mess of a puffy layer, whether synthetic or down. It's not nice when you take your pack off and a cold wind hits your wet back. {{{{{{{{{{chatter}}}}}}}}}}

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Nice system Dale,

I would only be adding the down layer while stopped.

cheers,

Stephen

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools