Topic

Yet more Wonderland Trail pics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yet more Wonderland Trail pics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

This past summer (2006) the five of us hiked the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier in a leisurely 13 days.

Trail and flower pictures can be found at http://picasaweb.google.com.

I finished the captions for the flower pictures, and should finish the few remaining captions for the trail pictures this coming weekend.

Note that with the recent heavy rains many parts of the trail will not be open this coming summer.

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

Elliott, I was planning to hike this route this summer, but reading the NPS web site I see they are not even offering to issue permits for the entire route until mid-June. Their site led me to believe they might have repaired and/or re-routed the trail by later in the summer. Maybe it would be better to wait until 2008. What do you think?

Outstanding pictures. Thanks.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Thanks for sharing! Looks like some great family time. Great pictures too!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Dave, I think it will come down to how bad the damage was, section by section. In areas that lost bridges it won't be an issue (just plane a log and slap it in), but in areas with slumps, it can be more trying. What will be interesting to watch is the Carbon River area, they are already talking about the reroute, going via a bit of the Northern Loop Trail.

But hey, even if you can't do all of it this year, it is still good hiking, no matter what!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I think Sarah got it just right. No way to know until the crews get into the field this spring. But it is such a beautiful area it is worth a trip even if part of the trail is closed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools