Topic

Awesome winter trip suggestions in Yosemite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Awesome winter trip suggestions in Yosemite?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Last Nov I did a trip from the valley floor up to Yosemite Falls and then over toward eagle peak.
    It was freezing cold, no crowds, no mosquitos and I loved every minute of it.

Are there any other Yosemite winter trips I should check out this year?
    Any suggestions are welcome.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Btw, I'm totally ok with having to use snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, etc. in fact it's preferred though I know Nov will likely be a bit early for that.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Hike or snowshoe out of Hetch Hetchy up to Tilden Lake and loop it. I believe it is about 45 miles and makes a great late season trip when Falls Creek is iced and snowed over. If you do it in November you will have to cross Falls creek near Wilma Lake. From what I read it is a less than waist deep slow crossing. (it was a raging swim when I last tried to cross it.). You can also shorten up the trip by looping at Wilma lake and there are even shorter options as well. This is a great area in he winter since they maintain the road to the dam.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

if not Yosemite then Emigrant

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

This year there will hopefully be a lot more snow than last.
    Anyhow, November there usually isn't much of the white stuff.
    So if you want to do another hike starting from the Valley that is similar to the one you did last year, you could go up Snow Creek.
    Steep hike up, but fab views of Half Dome all along the way. At the top of the switch backs is the best camp spot ever.

From here you can continue up to Mount Watkins

Then go back and continue towards North Dome

Then onwards towards the top of Yosemite Falls and down that way.

Edited to try to insert those images.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks guys! :)
    The Tilden lake loop and snow creek route both sound very interesting.
    Any idea of the mileage on the snow creek route you suggested?

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

The Snow Creek loop is about 20 miles if you include the off trail jaunt up Mount Watkins. Perfect weekend trip.
    Check on water sources before you go as there really isn't much around North Dome.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks Katy!
    Those pics look great. And yes good point about the water. I was on North dome a few years back during the summer and couldn't find water anywhere. All the streams were dry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools