Topic

Gourmet Backcountry Food

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Gourmet Backcountry Food

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

No, but we actually ordered pizza that night. Checked the trail register at the shelter and the first thing we saw was "[some Italian place] delivers pizza here down at the road by the stream" and gave the phone number.

So we had pizza twice that night. It was delicious.

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

I don't har any photos yet but I have three things that have works out amazingly so far.

Dehydrated fruit: kiwi, apple, banana, pineapple, strawberry all dehydrate amazingly

Dahl: I make a very thick pumpkin and lentil Dahl, blend it, dehydrate it and then blend it back into a powder again. A side by side test and I couldn't tell them apart. Add dehydrate rice to the servings in zip lock bags am rehydrate all together.

Hummus: I make a hummus with chickpeas, a little tahini, lemon juice, paprika and a good helping of pepper. Dehydrate an blend to a powder. Rehydrate with rather and a squirt of olive oil from a small tube. Eat on rice cakes.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

Baked Pizza using Caldera Cone and Outback Oven

Pizza baked on Caldera Cone (TiTri)

Serves one, Baking time 25 minutes

Double the recipe for two people, make two batches.

Ingredients:

1 c Jiffy Pizza mix
    1 T Italian herb blend
    1/2 t diced dried garlic
    1/2 t ground black pepper
    1 oz olive oil (or 1 packet)
    one pouch Bobboli tomato sauce – find with the pre-baked pizza crusts. Preferably dehydrate the sauce
    2 oz string cheese,Gouda cheese, cheddar, or other cheese.
    1 pkt shelf stable pepperoni slices, find the kind with two separate inner pouches.
    approx 1/2 c water

Instructions:

Pack the dry ingredients in a sandwich bag, seal tightly. Pack the oil, cheese and meat with it.

Cube up the cheese on a paper towel and separate and dice the pepperoni slices. Add cool water to the pizza mix in the bag and knead carefully till you have a dough. Place the oil in the pan, spread the dough in the pan, spread the tomato sauce on the dough, and place the cheese and meat on top of the dough.

See my blog post for more information on the Caldera cone, stove, simmer ring, and Outback Oven. In an Evernew pot set for 2L, about 7 inches in diameter, one can make one of these pizzas. Put about 3 oz of alcohol fuel in the TrailDesigns stove. That amount makes it about full. Some trial and error at home is worth while to get the procedure down.

Assemble the Caldera cone and place the stove inside. Place the foil reflector from the Outback Oven over the TrailDesign stove. Use the titanium stakes of the Caldera cone to suspend the Outback Oven scorch buster from the top edge of the cone. Place the fry pan on the cone, cover with the pot from the cookset. Place the Outback Oven thermometer on the top of the pot, and place the Outback Oven insulated cover over the pot. I use a wooden stick to light the stove, and to place the simmer ring over the stove.

Heat until in the BAKE zone shown on the thermometer, using a simmer ring on the TrailDesign stove. Cook till golden brown on the bottom, about 25 minutes. You will see the dough rise, the cheese melt, and toward the end smell the dough browning. When the dough is brown on top, its ready. To make it easier to remove, cut the pizza in half and remove half at a time.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

This was taken at Glacier National Park Sept 2012.
    I think this is all the ingredients I use, if I remember more I'll add them later.

10 beef steak Tomatoes
    1 white onion
    1 purple onion
    1 yellow onion
    1 sweet onion
    1 green bellpepper
    1 red bellpepper
    1 orange bellpepper
    1 yellow bellpepper
    1 lb ground turkey meat
    4-6 bay leaves
    1/4 cup terragon
    1/4 cup oregano
    1/4 basil
    4-6 cloves of elephant garlic
    organic sea salt
    pepper
    2 teaspoons chili powder

I start by boiling the tomatoes, and them putting them in a blender and pulse to desired texture
    While the Tomatoes are boiling I chop up all the veggies to what ever size I want, big or small, I tend to chop them up on the smaller side.

After the veggies are all chopped I saute them in a big pan to get the flavors going, also at this time I'm browing the turkey (in a seperate pan) and chopping into little bits.

I then put everything into my slow cooker, veggies, meat, tomatoes and all the herbs and garlic, oh forgot to mention you want to mince your garlic, and season to taste with salt, pepper and chili powder.

I let this cook for about 8-10 hrs on 180-200 degrees, then transfer it to my dehydrator and dehydrate for 8-10 hrs. This is a work in progress, about 2 days worth as you can see.
    Also cook the pasta and dehydrate at the same time as the sauce.

yumy

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools