Topic

Repackaging Food

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Repackaging Food

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

I'm leaving in 2 weeks for a 6-7 day hike (about 80 miles), and I'd like to repackage my food so that it will all (or mostly) fit into an Ursack. What I have are dehydrated meals from Hawk Vittles and Packit Gourmet. I will be preparing these FBC-style. I know that you can go 2-3 weeks after repackaging freeze-dried food but am afraid that dehydrated food might spoil faster. Can I pull this off?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Sure, you can pull it off, but it depends a lot on your food choices and whether dehydration was done properly. Most dehydrated food doesn't really spoil, but it gets harder and difficult to rehydrate. Plus, the flavor will go bland. Probably vitamins and things will degrade. But, hey, for 6-7 days, it doesn't matter too much.

One of my recipes works great unless I fail to dehydrate it fully. Then it grows tiny little fuzzy things. Some of that I can flick off with a knife point. Some of it is waste.

–B.G.–

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Redhawk said that I should be good for at least a week. I'm probably going to throw in a dessicant packet into each bag as I repackage it. Will report back later if it worked out well.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

" Will report back later if it worked out well."

And, if you don't report back we'll know how it went.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

No problems last week on the FHT in humid conditions. I threw a dessicant packet in with the repackaged Hawk Vittles meals (Packit Gourmet already had them with theirs) and everything remained fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools