Topic

Suggest a backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suggest a backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    J Chandler

@sccrman13

Locale: VA

Hey this is going to seem weird but I need a lightweight backpack for work/ weekends. I generally carry my 13" Macbook and a couple of small books. I like having multiuse gear so I would like to be able to use it for when I go out of town on the weekends and need to carry the laptop as well. Currently I have a Salomon Wanderer 30 but its a bit small and there are too many pockets everywhere. Thanks for your suggestions.

Neil McGee
    Spectator

@thegreatclod

Locale: Northeast, East Asia

It's hard to suggest a good backpack without learning more (where you're going, what you're doing, how much in volume you need for your trips…). Sounds like you need a pack for traveling about and not for the backcountry (where a laptop is just not going to be of any use to you). Any decent backpack with a laptop sleeve should do for a weekend getaway (check out the North Face Surge, for example). One suggestion is to lay out all the things you will need for your trip, then assess how big a pack you'll need for the adventure. Beyond that, folks on these boards don't generally bring laptops and books along with them in their packs. Such things defy the ultralight code of conduct. Good luck!

J Chandler

@sccrman13

I guess I should have been a bit more descriptive. I have a golite Jam that I use when backpacking. I have a patagonia black hole duffel that I use for travelling. I am looking for a lightweight, simple, and stylish backpack for carrying my laptop to and from work. I would like it to be durable and lightweight. Please let me know what some of you are using for this purpose. Thanks.

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

http://www.rei.com/product/809170/rei-quantum-messenger-pack

It has one of the best warranties ever. I can side load/unload my laptop (going through airport security), it handles my 15" MacBook Pro. I have everything I need as an IT Security guy stashed in my pack. Extra cables, mouse, power cables, etc.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I prefer a messenger style bag for commuting and travel. I think a messenger is much easier to navigate aisles and doorways and you don't wipe the face of the person standing behind you with your backpack. Osprey makes some nice ones. Definitely get one with the water bottle holder(s) on the outside.

There are many laptop oriented backpacks and the whole mix of feature sets. A big REI store or other quality outdoor supplier will have enough choices to keep you busy for a couple hours.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Jason Klass posted a review of the Recon pack by The North Face last year:
    http://jasonklass.blogspot.com/2011/06/north-face-recon-backpack-review.html

but it does look a lot like the Salomon Wanderer you mentioned.

An alternative is to find a standard backpack you like then add a padded laptop sleeve.

Mike

J Chandler

@sccrman13

Is there anyone using an osprey kestrel 32 as a day to day pack? I would like to be able to use mine as a daypack as well.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

I'd suggest checking out Mission Workshop backpacks. Their designs are really smart, well built, and (most importantly) stylish. I bike commute daily with the Rambler as my every day backpack. It's pretty heavy (3.7 lbs), but it has carbon fiber stays and a frame sheet, super durable materials, is fully waterproof, and expands from 22L to 44L. I've put awkward loads like a 20lb box of cat litter in it and it felt fine.

In every day use, I have it in 22L mode and it's super thin and svelte. By unzipping the wraparound zipper, it accordions out to 44L to carry groceries or whatever else you need.

J Chandler

@sccrman13

Checked out the mission workshops but they are a bit heavy and not quite my style. I like a more technical look. I think im figuring out what i am looking for more and mor. The lightest panel load that can handle a macbook. I also found the mountain hardwear fluid 26 but I think the osprey might be the better of the two based on the features.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools